Celebrating the Monster

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
We added lights to the gate posts and then added three additional lights on posts to light up the driveway.

Here's the gate from the inside

Part of the driveway. The loop portion of the driveway has 2 additional lights. Neighbor's house is across the road.

It kind of has a festive party feel with the lights on as things are lit up instead of dark like it used to be. We had a view of trees until they logged off the trees and built a spec home across the road a few years ago. Our driveway entrance used to start in line with that house. When he built our gate, my husband changed our driveway entry and transplanted some trees where the old entry was. Come on trees, grow fast and block out that house from our view.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
wow nice, i made a few metal models of some of my favorite fish species, only to find out i cant keep any of them. gotta love that plasma cutter though. cant wait for pix of the fish room

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Experiment397;4367846; said:
wow nice, i made a few metal models of some of my favorite fish species, only to find out i cant keep any of them. gotta love that plasma cutter though. cant wait for pix of the fish room

I can't wait either. We're a long long way from completion. The roof is on, though! Things are moving slowly with basically two people doing the work with consultation and help from an expert....and all the time outs for summer vacation activities......I'm trying to learn to be patient. :)

Chicklette

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Wow, great idea!!!!

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Experiment397;4367846; said:
cant wait for pix of the fish room
Landscape has changed from when this thread was started. We're a long long way from completion. This is a major build for us, and we're basically doing everything ourselves with my stepson working with my husband.

Here's the before:

Here's today with the roof done (new camera)

Before construction/dirt removal:

Today:

We put three tubular skylights in: one in the garage, one in the filtration equipment room and one in the closet of the new upstairs master bedroom

As you can see, the build is way more than a fish room now. Once we commandeered the garage space, we had to have a new garage. We then decided to take advantage of our river view, so are building a new master bedroom over the fish room. This DIY project is teaching me patience!

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
It will be worth all the patience in the end. It looks marvelous. What a massive undertaking!

Do try for windows and insulation before winter through. Working on the interior won't be much fun with those this winter.

doramider

Feeder Fish
Sep 17, 2010
doramider7
pacu mom;3700132; said:
Not really, but we don't live in the 'burbs. We only have an acre which goes to the middle of the Smith River...so there's not a lot of usable land. There are about 9 houses off a private road, and the road goes down hill. There is no place to turn around, except in somebody's driveway. When we had the dirt removed, we punched in a new entrance. Our new entrance is actually wider than the road which veers to the left. Don't have a good picture of the driveway.

You can see part of the driveway in this pic (taken from the front door) of a freak snow fall we had. It loops around those trees. The private road is not visible in this pic.

Back yard

A lot of the dirt on the right had to be removed to make room for the new garage. The fish room will be where the existing garage is.

This grassy hill with the magnolia tree is gone

Awesome metalwork!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store