*CHEAP/BULLET PROOF CINDER BLOCK STAND*

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
The same can be said about shooting a 2x4 lol it won't crumble but it'll break in half.
You clearly haven't shot much, even a 12 gauge slug doesn't break a 2 x 4 in half. Stone is way more rigid so instead of distributing the force of the bullet, as wood does, it takes all the force in a single space. I studied ballistics when I wanted to be a mercenary lol

It's mor then likely going to be fine with that size tank as long as nothing bumps it too hard. Not talking down on ya f1, simply arguing my point. It is a good, thrifty idea for a smaller tank. You could even just get thin sheet of wood to cover it to add a bit of peace of.mind
Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

TUCCI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2018
Colorado
Screenshot_20180406-112500.jpg
Im resurecting this thread since it's worth adding to. I'm going to use this design when I'm ready to set up my 180g this year. It's going in my man cave (garage). I'm using Douglas Fur and paneling the front & sides when/if I get around to it.
My filtration will involve the use of a custom made canister filter:
20180420_105718.jpg
pumped by one of these:

Screenshot_20180513-171128.jpg

I spray painted the plumping going over and into the tank with Krylon plastic paint that's safe once it dries.
The canister will be packed with 15lbs of lava rock, 1.5inches of bio-foam and a layer of filter floss over the top for pre-filtering. The top of the canister will have a screw top with a bulk-head for intake and output. The output is drilled thru the bottom and fed to the pump. It will flow 5-8 times per hour. The disconnects facilitate the service intervals. It will double or more any filtration available.
Apologies if this post hijackes the thread but since it's been dormant for some time now, I didn't think anyone would care.
Sorry about the other pics at the bottom but I can seem to remove them after multiple attempts!! 20180525_111252.jpg 20180420_105718.jpg

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Here's how the finished design looks like:
View attachment 1316912 View attachment 1316913
I’m really curious as to why you went with a DIY canister opposed to a DIY sump with 10x more the bio capacity and less required maintenances. I’m pretty sure no matter how you stuff it with whatever media a 5gallon bucket will not be enough to filter a 180g tank. Also I see your using abundance amount of ball valves I would think only 2 would be necessary. I fail to see how this is superior than anything else in the market

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Great project you have going on Tucci.It deserves it's own write up rather than being relegated to some long lost member's necro thread.

Reactions: Drstrangelove

TUCCI

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2018
Colorado
I plan to do it's own thread when I finally set the tank up. As far as a sump, I've never been a fan of sumps and prefer a self contained unit.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I agree. Despite the relevance to the old thread, this deserves a new thread. I'm looking forward to learning how you progress and what input you get.

Good stuff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store