Chinese wels Silurus meridionalis at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I am sure but still it's an assumption on my part, Russ, he does it by night, never caught him red handed, except when he ate the sick LMB, that was ovbvious :) Let's see if the damage stops with him gone, then this would confirm my finger pointing.

Also, he doesn't bother other fish, only select tank mates like all 3 indo tarpon, 1 bala, 2 vultures, and maybe 3 LMB.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Have you ever noticed that some "jerk" fish, like this Wels, single out one or two targets for their aggression...but if you remove those poor schmucks, they just re-focus on something else, until they end up all by themselves, grumpy and alone? When you showed the video clip of the Chinese Wels being introduced into that "jerk" tank, I saw that nice big Black Shark, and the way it immediately perked up and followed the Wels around a bit, and thought "Hmmm...a lesson is about to be taught to that cat; I wonder if it will learn?" :)

Just thinking out loud, don't mind me. I'm grumpy too, having recently discovered that my province has in its infinite wisdom banned all species of Silurus Wels cats. I wanted one! :(

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I can't recall that I saw a clear confirmation of what you are describing but in general the "distraction" phenomenon or trick is known - occupy an aggressor with a target, so it leaves alone the fish you are trying to protect.

Great eye on the purple labeo. Yes, in the 5 min they spent together, I too saw a weak attempt by the labeo at mouthing the catfish.

Yes, sooner or later we will all end up in a prison for fish keepers, like the poor Australians, and resort to internet, books, and taxidermy to study and enjoy fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store