'Cleveland' Rocks!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Your work is inspiring,I may have to try doing one someday.
I hope you do, it all starts with the right mindset, the right tools, mostly basic things, I just have a cheapo small table saw and miter saw as the main power tools, and a drill and other hand tools, especially clamps, ya need lots of clamps!

Tonight's pic is the sky blue. I don't like it. It looks like a Powder Room and it reminds me of tooth paste. The Competition Blue is supposed to be delivered on Friday so for the next two days I will work on the outside, getting all the screw holes filled and sanded. A lot of the screw heads will still show up, a dozen or so did not counter sink deep enough but it will still look fantastic. It might be a while before I have the stand finished with doors and drawers and the hood built, it will be handsome!
Wrong! color!.jpg
Okay, Good night!

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Another cool tank, whats going in this one?
All my Koi and Goldfish from Chicago will be moved in this tank and then Chicago will be a Predator tank, heavily planted areas too, I hope to find some Pickerel or even Northern Pike. It's a problem! I should start a 'Go Find Me' page instead of 'Go Fund Me', .... I can and gladly will PAY for my stuff, I just can't find.

The end openings on the 'Cleveland' are 22" diameter and the round glass 24" and 1/2" thick tempered.

The front openings are 58" wide and 22" tall, the glass panel is 60" x 24", also 1/2" tempered.

When I was a very young aquariust, I had such small tanks, a 5 gallon, and then a 10 gallon seemed huge and by the time I was a teenager, a 20 gallon long was the Holy Grail of tanks for me... So with that in mind, I went ahead and built me a 500 gallon long! 133.5" long.

Chicago, at 890 gallons or so, I like to think of it as a 900 gallon Long & Tall! 155" long, 45" tall.

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Good Evening! This is the face frame for the stand. This is the front of a cabinet, that is exactly what a face frame is. The doors are fastened to the face frame and close up against it as well as the drawers.
face frame face down.jpg

And here it is fastened to the stand. Tomorrow will be another day of final prep of the outside of the tank while I wait for the Comp Blue Pond Shield.
face frame fastened in place.jpg

It's gonna be tomorrow pretty soon, Good Night!

Reactions: M1A1 and deeda

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
SE USA
[/QUOTE]

Tomorrow is long gone, we're getting accustomed to the daily updates, how is the Cleveland project progressing?

Reactions: Parka

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Tomorrow is long gone, we're getting accustomed to the daily updates, how is the Cleveland project progressing?
[/QUOTE]
It is coming along quite well, maybe a bit slower than it could go but I'm being careful NOT to work too long or with too much effort so as not to get all beat up to the point I need a day or three of Rest & Relaxation!

My new order of Pond Shield was delivered on Friday, They sent the WRONG color, AGAIN! Apparently, the Pond Shield Cabal, them Goons don't want me to ever have Competition Blue... Say Bleu Cheese, please! So instead, this time I got what is called, Delta Blue and it is actually a very pretty Turquoise Blue and it is what we are using, very pleased!

In the meantime, so much prep work and I also got the doors and drawers built for the stand/cabinet. They still need cleaned up and prepped to be painted.

Last night I used up the last of the Sky Bleu 'poxy and it is advised to sand and scuff up the previous coat if it had fully cured. Ya just need to knock that sheen off because the Pond Shield dries high gloss and the product sticks better to a slightly roughed up surface. Anyway, sanding that tank was exhausting and I spread the work over two days, doing other easier tasks in between sanding sessions. I'm getting very good with this Pond Shield application too, every aspect of these builds has become easier for me plus in addition to easier, with that ease, the quality improves, less aggravation = fewer mistakes.

Now, in between coats where the previous coat has not fully cured, it is recommended to get right after it, no prep or sanding needed, and that is where we are now. In just a short while I will mix up a batch of Delta Blue and get busy.

Please believe me that the Sky Bleu looks much worse in real life than the pic shows, it's the truth.

I would also like to talk about my basic tools, and how simple it is to build square and true, that blue object beside my drills, that is the jig I use to make pocket holes and those pocket holes are a game changer for the amateur wood worker like myself. I put the drawers and doors together using pocket holes, it made it SO much easier than using the more traditional tongue & groove. The DIY part of this game is very satisfying...final coat sky blue.jpgdrawers and doors.jpgbasic tools.jpg

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
Thanks man! Didn't mean to push you, just enjoying watching the progress. Lot's of work and looking good!
How's about I thank you instead? For being interested, it helps keep me motivated knowing other people are paying attention. So yeah, it is going good every day, a little bit at a time, and we are ready to flip The Cleveland on its front side for the glass install. Today I will mix me up another very small batch of 'poxy and get after the top of the top brace.

Before the tank flip, I need to do some ceiling work to fasten an anchor. The thing is, the floor joists are manufactured meaning they were built off site in pieces and they might pull apart if i tried to anchor to one individual joist. My plan is to fasten an 8' 2x4 spanning 4 or 5 joists and then anchor to the 2x4. I'm using ratchet hoist stuff, it can be dangerous and I will be super uber careful!

Now about the color, in the pics, the Sky Bleu and Delta Blue almost look alike but in real life, they look obviously different from one another.

I just think the Competition Blue and Pure White would have looked so crisp and sharp. However, Delta Blue and Pure White, I think it might be a tad too soft or dainty. I'm okay with dainty, I like tiny objects quite a bit, but let us all remember, after all, I do have My He-Manship status to maintain!

And since the subject of My He-Manship has bean broached, I'm excited to share with all, that I am also a He-Man of the Cloth!

I am a SELF ORDAINED High Bishop and I use Two Canes, hence, High Bishop Two Canes!

Enjoy the pics and Good Day!
delta blue 2 coats.jpgdelta blue top brac.jpg

Parka

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Gwinnett County, Ga.
I forgot to mention, My Inner Junkie wants me to paint the outside that same soft black that I used on Akron. It is very important to keep My Inner Junkie sated...

Mkay, I best get busy, I got this enjoyable habit of staying up late and sleeping in late! HAHAHA!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store