Coelacanth and other deep sea creatures care

latapy10

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2019
Europe
I'm just wondering if you guys have any pointers of caring for coelacanth or any deep sea fish. It's always been a dream of mines to care for one. I'm doing research on deep sea fish and will have to set up a system to house them. There will be multiple fish that I will be studying. I just want a few pointers of temperature ranges and diet. There's very little information on the internet. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
you should to know
simulate water pressures and i think it would be better to stay in real life not in your dreams...:hitting:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wow. I don't think you'll find much help here or anywhere. I could be wrong.

This is one of the most outstanding projects I've ever come across.

Good luck and keep us posted for very sure!

Cowturtle

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 2, 2016
Cincinnati
Seems like a very longshot if nobodies done it before . There's aquariums that keep whale sharks and nobodies come close to success with coelacanth. Here's a good article on past attempts to catch them. https://www.dinofish.com/contr.htm
Keeping one alive would probably be the biggest fish news since they were discovered. I'd love to see a live coelacanth in person that's why I keep their closest living relative the Australian Lungfish.

I believe they come up at night to feed off reefs in much shallower water that's when you usually see scuba divers with them. I follow a few Japanese instagram pages of individuals that keep other deep sea species. Also some deep water anthias and angelfish make it into the trade the biggest issue is they just need to be brought up slowly or have their swim bladder gas released so they don't pop. Longterm they just need cooler water I'm always on the lookout for a source of the giant deep sea isopods I want to try to keep. I'll put together a nautilus tank one day too.

I've had Japanese swallowtail angelfish come in with messed up swim bladders from being brought up to quick.

GouramiGuy123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2021
If im not mistaken coelcanths live in caves and come out at night to feed, if I could keep one in an aquarium I would have lots of really big caves with cold water and not a lot of light to simulate their twilight zone habitat. As for feeding I would try stuff like squid, shrimp, crabs and smaller fish because they are big predators that like to eat benthic and midwater organisms. For tank size I would assume something in the 5000 to 6000 plus range as both species (Chalumnae and Menadoensis) get over 140 cm. This is just my best estimate on what you would need to do if you realistically could keep one in an aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store