Collecting in the Rio Los Lotes

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Tues April 7th, my guide Danny and I went to collect in the Rio Los Lotes, east, and north of Panama City.
Here in Panama, we have been in an extended dry season, and all rivers are extremely low, and running quite slowly compared to the norm, and the fish are quite concentrated
With the lack of rain, Rio Los Lotes was on this day (beyond being low) extremely clear. Without effort we were able to see cichlids from the surface (like the Andinoacara, in the right hand lower corner of the photo below)
IMG_4407.jpeg
We caught 3 cichlid species Tues, most were Andinoacara coerleopunctatus, 1 Darienheros calobrense, and the largest, what appears to be an @ 4” Isthmoheros tuyrense.
IMG_4410.jpegIMG_4424.jpegIMG_4414.jpeg
Beyond cichlids a number of Curimatas tetras (?) were kept, and what appears to be Ctenolucies hujeta/beanii.
IMG_4438.jpegIMG_4447.jpeg
IMG_4368.jpeg
As always, I tested the rivers water for pH and nitrate. The pH overwhelmed the normal midrange solution, so I switched to the high range reagent to get a more accurate reading, the grab sample suggested a pH of 8.2, and, that nitrate was undetectable.
IMG_4377.jpegIMG_4379.jpeg
As usual tetras were the most populous fish, probably 50 per each cichlid, and many appeared to be quite large, the largest shoaling in the middle of the river, in the deepest parts, They looked to easily be 5 to 6” in total length.

IMG_4404.jpeg IMG_4363.jpegIMG_4408.jpeg

Last edited:

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Looks like a pleasant way to spend a day.
Have you considered building some kind of fish trap?
You could chuck it in the river and kick back for the evening with a nice cigar of exotic Panamanian tobacco then pull it out in the morning , hopefully filled with fish.

Reactions: tlindsey

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Just one nagging question - how did Tuesday, become April 7th?
Time dilation; it's often theorized that this is a side-effect of "undetectable nitrates".

In that pic above, it's quite possible that duanes duanes is holding his camera in his right hand on Tuesday...while his left hand holding the vial is on Wednesday...:)

• Haha
Reactions: ken31cay and RD.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Looks like a pleasant way to spend a day.
Have you considered building some kind of fish trap?
You could chuck it in the river and kick back for the evening with a nice cigar of exotic Panamanian tobacco then pull it out in the morning , hopefully filled with fish.
I like the challenge and exercise I get with the cast net, although it can be frustrating.
d0aa5a00-6efe-45e9-a27b-f47fed5f489d.jpeg3b7d146a-475c-4dd9-89d6-ca605f412975.jpeg

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
A couple shots of the Andinoacara coerleopunctatus caught the other day, they were easily he most densely populous cichlid.
IMG_4585.jpeg
With some of the Cyphocharax magdalenae (?) Curimatidae Characins.
IMG_4576.jpeg
These Characins are said to reach 10" (27 cm) and were the largest "tetra like" species found in the river, other than the more sparsely found Ctenolucius beanii..
IMG_4561.jpegIMG_4562.jpegIMG_4503.jpeg

Reactions: bkfamus and RD.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Another welcome surprise today, discovered another smaller Isthmoheros tuyrense had been part of the collecting foray the other day.
At only @ 2 inches, it had kind of blended in with the crowd of Andinoacara haul.
But today, as it became more at ease, it popped out of obscurity.
IMG_4632.jpeg
IMG_4658.jpeg

Reactions: bkfamus and RD.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store