colored glass

jhilde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2015
So I have been thinking about building a plywood tank for some time now and have recently come across 2, 60"×18"×5/8" tempered glass sheets. They were intended to be used in a hockey rink and are extremely strong. The only problem is they have a slight green color to them. Have any of you used or seen colored glass in an aquarium before? Will it be a waste of time using this glass? I am planning on painting the inside of the tank black so will that hide the green color? Thanks for any input.14466587828501871577778.jpg

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
I had a homemade 170g tank before in similar glass, it was ok but always tinted, depends if you can deal with it, on a side note I had my 300g made with optiwhite glass and the difference is massive if you look side by side...

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I should also mention that it was free.
Free and a little green tint cancel each other out.....imo...
Regular float glass has this green tint as well....only really noticed if you have a light colored back ground and substrate
so painting the background black will definitely make your free glass all the more sweeter....

Reactions: HumanBean

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
So I have been thinking about building a plywood tank for some time now and have recently come across 2, 60"×18"×5/8" tempered glass sheets. They were intended to be used in a hockey rink and are extremely strong. The only problem is they have a slight green color to them. Have any of you used or seen colored glass in an aquarium before? Will it be a waste of time using this glass? I am planning on painting the inside of the tank black so will that hide the green color? Thanks for any input.View attachment 1147989
I'd build the tank, if you can do it as a relatively cheap little project; then if you don't like it, just sell it and make money from it to make a better one

Reactions: boldtogether

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
The tint will make your water always look dingy, so as long as its not a show tank you'll probably get used to it and shouldn't bother you......at least it wouldn't bother me.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Free and a little green tint cancel each other out.....imo...
Regular float glass has this green tint as well....only really noticed if you have a light colored back ground and substrate
so painting the background black will definitely make your free glass all the more sweeter....
Strong glass plus at no cost evens out green tint for sure. ;)

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Regular aquarium glass has a slight tint as well unless it's Starfire glass.

jhilde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2015
Ok you guys talked me into it. It'll probably be about a 100 gallon tank using one of the pieces. Maybe I'll post a new thread when I get started.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store