Concrete block tank build

Ron pugh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
One other thing I was thinking is to turn the block sideways to make my walls 16" thick instead of 8" I'm not sure this is even necessary since it will double the block needed but it surely won't go anywhere when it's done..

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
I'm meaning, you could build what you want out of plywood and 2x4s.
Blocks are even better and more then is essentially needed, turning them sideways is way to much.

Reactions: wednesday13

Ron pugh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2016
Ok my question now is concerning glass thickness. I'm going to run 2 layers of block first before I start my window frame. Will that water depth need to be counted when I determine glass thickness?Total tank height will be 4 foot. My window frame will start about 17 1/2 inches from the bottom of the tank. Basically does the water pressure start at the point of contact with the glass and end at the top of the glass or will it count from the floor to the surface of the water?

SAW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2016
theres john here on the forum thats done 2 mega concrete block tank builds i think its john ptc good luck with the build

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
Pressure goes from the bottom of the glass to the surface of the water (like pushing a bucket into water deeper you get more pressure)
2 layers of block is mega overkill remember a concrete slab is 100mm (3.5 inches) thick to drive a car on with it never cracking in its life
The thing I really think you should be looking at is the existing concrete slab if it's got no insulation under it you can lose a lot of heat into the ground
When houses are built in colder climates they put down Hi density polystyrene then pour the slab on that I don't know how cold it is there but might be something to look at

Reactions: labiatus55
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store