Congo Spotted puffers

GottaCatchEmAll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2024
I just recently picked up 3 spotted Congo puffers. They are in a 55 gallon tank with a juvenile salvini. Just looking for advice from anyone with experience keeping these. I’ve heard mixed reviews about keeping these with other fish. Some say they are peaceful but others say they can be aggressive towards other fish.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They are peaceful for a pufferfish - I definitely wouldn’t mix them with anything meaner than them though. I’d limit tankmates to livebearers, mellower tetras, small catfish, etc.
Nothing that would outcompete or beat on the puffers.
Salvini are very aggressive and can definitely cause harm to your puffers.
Like any puffer, they will likely not take onto pelleted foods and therefore need a lot of frozen and dry foods. Include hard shelled foods to keep their beaks worn down.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Agreed, I kept several large colonies of them with several different species of fish with no issues but would never keep them with anything too aggressive. I’d be more worried about your salvini than the puffers.

Also, one colony actually took to pellets and it made my life a whole lot easier and they grew much faster.Wish I still had that group. Since then, I have not been able to get any other congos onto pellets.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I use a feeder cone and have been feeding bloodworms. I found vibra bites look similar enough that if I put them in the feeder cone they will eat those as well. Harder for them to get through the cone but they manage.
That’s exactly what I used to get them onto pellets. After one sampled and ate the Hikari Vibra Bites, all 8 of them did eventually and would subsequently go after Carnivore pellets and NLS

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store