Considering a Tropical Pond

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Is there any update on this? I'm very interested in this. I would love to have this in my yard. My gf would NEVER go for it, but, it would be amazing

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

sweetdreamfiji

Feeder Fish
Feb 3, 2006
florida
Duncan,

I love your pond . I am putting together an 18' diameter above ground pool that I hope will be similar to your pond, only smaller!! Can you put up another graph of the outside temperature and the pond temperature. It is a little warmer here in Florida and I should be able to maintain at least as high a temperature as you do.

How do you like the red tail cats?

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Duncan,

I love your pond . I am putting together an 18' diameter above ground pool that I hope will be similar to your pond, only smaller!! Can you put up another graph of the outside temperature and the pond temperature. It is a little warmer here in Florida and I should be able to maintain at least as high a temperature as you do.

How do you like the red tail cats?
Thanks. I don't track the temperature anymore so I don't have a graph to put up. With the pool covered with greenhouse film the water temp will only drop about 2 degrees/day even in below freezing temps. So I just watch the forecast and decide if I need to warm the pond up with the wood burning heater before a cold front comes in. It's been a pita this year because it has been one cold front after another. Being in Florida you should have no problem keeping the temp warm enough if you cover the pond with greenhouse film. Maybe keep a couple of bucket heaters on hand in case you have a prolonged cold spell.

The redtail cats are great, I want to add more. The rtc/tsn's are pretty cool too although they are more aggressive...I'm not sure if I would add them if I had to do it all over again.

follarin63

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
deep water
Just went through the whole thread and its amazing

I have an 35m3 pond too with some kois, and i would like to warm the water (not an big deal with my job)

But with 35m3 i don't know how many fish i can put in it, i love arrowana and Sa cichlid, at the moment there is only 6 big kois and a shoal of corydoras paleatus who leave near the rock, some notropis chrosomus and lutrensis who i will put on other pond
Do you think that i could put RTC whith big SA Cichlid ?, i don't want RTC to eat them ^^

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Just went through the whole thread and its amazing

I have an 35m3 pond too with some kois, and i would like to warm the water (not an big deal with my job)

But with 35m3 i don't know how many fish i can put in it, i love arrowana and Sa cichlid, at the moment there is only 6 big kois and a shoal of corydoras paleatus who leave near the rock, some notropis chrosomus and lutrensis who i will put on other pond
Do you think that i could put RTC whith big SA Cichlid ?, i don't want RTC to eat them ^^
My rtc's don't seem to go after the other fish. I think if there is enough space and they are fed well the risk of predation is small, not zero though. The rtc/tsn is a different story, he's always trying to sneak up on the smaller fish.

follarin63

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
deep water
My rtc's don't seem to go after the other fish. I think if there is enough space and they are fed well the risk of predation is small, not zero though. The rtc/tsn is a different story, he's always trying to sneak up on the smaller fish.
ok thanks

Do you think that 35 m3 it's enough?

If not i 'll put Granulated catfish , and ripsaw, or Sorubim Lima.

I can buy crystal eyed catfish, but i think it's nasty

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
It's easily big enough, but I doubt you can heat it warm enough, even in south france. 35k litres (9500 Gallons) is a lot of water.

Duncan6618

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Picked up these guys I stumbled across at an LFS. They are Dolphin Barbs (Bangana behri).

Here's a pic of an adult...

Not too shabby for $4.49 a piece :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store