Couple of Poly Questions for the Bichir Guru's

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I think not too many people realize that Congo Congicus can also show head markings too (one feature people point out on Lake Tanganyika). Congo ones are definitely more sensitive to substrate/background when it comes to coloring up while the Lake Tanganyika generally will color up very easily on any substrate (that’s their pro).
Also it also comes down to personal preference whether or not you care about little details like the facial/head markings.

Congo ones are still my favorite since they seem to have a thicker/better headshape and for me, headshape is the number 1 thing I look at when buying my Polypterus. (Goes back to preference).

anyway I just wanted to show examples of Congo ones with nice head/facial marking since generally we always see washed out Congo congicus all over the internet. Doesn’t do them any justice. 🤣
View attachment 1541128
View attachment 1541129
View attachment 1541130
View attachment 1541131
View attachment 1541132
Killer representation man… hat off to u as always in this department. Had no idea the congos could look like this. Shows my lack of knowledge 😂💀

Reactions: Hao

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Wow! :WHOA: I had no idea the Congo Congicus could have such amazing patterns and you're right the head pattern is pretty sick. So Gisela/Tanganyika don't get those head patterns? Hard to describe it's almost like a starburst pattern? And you're right I've never seen Congos with so much pattern. Those poor Congicus, people doing them dirty. Man, my slang is atrocious. Every time I try to type unfiltered I cringe. 🤣 And that substrate in the last pic, what is it a mix of black and tan sand?
Lake Tanganyika do have head/facial markings as well (more commonly seen on them since they color up better usually). I can totally understand why people see a fully colored Lake Tanganyika and think its a new species/different variation compared to a washed out Congo. But once you see a fully colored up Congo, the differences aren't too significant. As for the substrate, I'll tag you on another thread.

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Lake Tanganyika do have head/facial markings as well (more commonly seen on them since they color up better usually). I can totally understand why people see a fully colored Lake Tanganyika and think its a new species/different variation compared to a washed out Congo. But once you see a fully colored up Congo, the differences aren't too significant. As for the substrate, I'll tag you on another thread.
Thanks again @ Hao for clearing that up. Makes me think I need at least one representative of each. :grinyes: Again, wow on the difference between your Congos and the others I've seen online. I'm thinking Tanganyika first then Congo and Sp. Kouloton from Toyin, I'm also feeling the itch for another PBB and Dabola.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks again @ Hao for clearing that up. Makes me think I need at least one representative of each. :grinyes: Again, wow on the difference between your Congos and the others I've seen online. I'm thinking Tanganyika first then Congo and Sp. Kouloton from Toyin, I'm also feeling the itch for another PBB and Dabola.
Only 2 of those photos belong to me. Other 3 I pulled it off the internet haha. Yep bichirs will get addicting. Good luck. :ROFL:

• Haha
Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Only 2 of those photos belong to me. Other 3 I pulled it off the internet haha. Yep bichirs will get addicting. Good luck. :ROFL:
Bruh, you're evil. :ROFL: You don't think I've peeped you playing devils advocate in the Marketplace. :devil: buy it, buy it. 🤣 Now you sharing and pulling pics to get me Congo fever. :shakehead I think I've realized too late cause I'm pretty sure I'm already addicted. Cold poly sweats here I come. :rip🤣

• Haha
Reactions: wednesday13 and Hao
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store