Crabs

Cyclop3000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Quebec, Canada
They are escape artists...all of them. And aggressive fellas too...Found one of my crabs on the floor of my daughter's bedroom, about 10 meters away from it's 55g tank.

Dropped to the floor, survived, my kid almost walked on it was near her bed amongst the dolls on the ground...when he saw us he was friggin pissed, claws opened and up in the air. My daughter got a scare, and then we laughed at the poor little fella on teh ground. After he got back in the tank, then we thought that he could really have hurt the kids.

Lesson learned: Make sure the lid has no holes, cause crabs find them!

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
Good lesson. Yeah crabs are escape artists.. Best way to keep them in check
is to put lots of crabs in the tank. As soon as one climb ups, another crab will bring
it down.

Just like people sometimes. Hence the term "Crab Mentality "

Daddyo72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2005
I have a converted reptile top for one of my tanks. They are easy enough to cut a hole or two for equipment and evaporation isn't really a problem. Just a thought.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
hemptation88 said:
i had a crab that climbed out also. how long can they live outside w/ out food
they die from their gills drying out, and it happens in less than a day, probably within 2 hours of being out of the tank.

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
Yeah I have those things breeding like crazy in a ten gallon eclipse system. I just stuffed a little toilet paper into all the holes they could fit out of. The really do like to bail out and run for it, every chance they get.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
AlaskaJammin said:
Yeah I have those things breeding like crazy in a ten gallon eclipse system. I just stuffed a little toilet paper into all the holes they could fit out of. The really do like to bail out and run for it, every chance they get.
do you breed them in freshwater? how do you go about preserving the eggs from the parents?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store