D.I.Y. Vortex chamber calculations...

fg4608

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
7,731miles from birth
I need some help and/or direction with this one guys!

How do I calculate the size and flow rates etc for a D.Y.I. vortex settling chamber?

I read somewhere about the desired directional flow in ponds for proper filtering from the center of the volume but I've lost where I saw that and it doesn't exactly apply anyway...

I'd be happy if anybody just have some ideas as to where I might could find the info as I am coming up empty handed.

Thanks Beforehand!

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Dwell time is what's important. The particales need to stay in the settling chamber long enough for gravity to pull them out of the water column. 5-10min is optimum.

To figure out dwell time:

Take gph through settling chamber and divide it by 60 to get gpm (gallons per minute)
1200 gph / 60 = 20 gpm

Multiply gpm times minutes of dwell you want 3,5,10,etc to get tank sizes.

GPM*minutes of dwell=tank size
20gpm * 3min = 60gal tank
20 * 5 = 100
20 * 10 = 200

fg4608

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2010
7,731miles from birth
Sweet!

A few questions though!

What about the shape of the settling tank? Funneled botom, height etc. Does that not affect the efficiency at all? It seems like the chart you are referencing applies to just regular cylindrical shapes...? Where did you aquire this data by the way? I would very much like to dwell deeper in to it all.

I know in onsite wastewater application the general rule for "rectangular" tanks is that the surface area impact the settling capabilities in conjunction with the volume of the tank. But in a vortex style tank where you have rotational movement of the liquid and with a "false" conical bottom that lets the detrius settle underneath the inlet tank, does these numbers not get improved upon?

Also, I'm assuming the required dwell time will be dependent on the size and boyancy of the particles as well?

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
fg4608;4457719; said:
Sweet!

A few questions though!

What about the shape of the settling tank? Funneled botom, height etc. Does that not affect the efficiency at all? It seems like the chart you are referencing applies to just regular cylindrical shapes...? Where did you aquire this data by the way? I would very much like to dwell deeper in to it all.

I know in onsite wastewater application the general rule for "rectangular" tanks is that the surface area impact the settling capabilities in conjunction with the volume of the tank. But in a vortex style tank where you have rotational movement of the liquid and with a "false" conical bottom that lets the detrius settle underneath the inlet tank, does these numbers not get improved upon?

Also, I'm assuming the required dwell time will be dependent on the size and boyancy of the particles as well?
the dwell time is based on particles that weigh less than water. Any particle lighter than water will never settle out. Obviously, heavier matierials will settle faster. I use a conical inductor tank that is 60g that I keep roughly 80% full. The settling in amazing.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
I use it on my 220. I can't remeber the name of the place I bought it but I think they all come from the some manufactor. The dimensions are something like 24" round 42" tall.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store