Datnoid will only eat earthworms

BOOMSHAKER

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2022
Stoke on Trent UK
Hey, I’ve had a dat for about 3 months now. After a month I noticed he wasn’t eating. I tried prawns, mussels, pellets and chopped up whitebait. After a month and a half of not eating I got worried. So I put my finger poking up from the bottom of the glass and wiggled it. He came straight out to investigate. So then I thought he wants wiggly stuff. I went to fishing tackle shop and got maggots. He didn’t give a **** about them. So then I went the tackle shop again and got worms. The ****er loves them! He even hand feeds from me when I’ve got them which I absolutely love! (Love hand feeding fish, I do.)
However, I don’t really want to have to always have to feed him worms. What can I do to get him off worms? He’s only 6-7 inch.
so yeah, any advice guys?

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
I hate live. But I've given in before to break the habit. Treated feeders (fully and totally treated) for a short period of time. Even the most stubborn datnoid should go after them.

After consistently taking live feeders, feed some dead feeders. Once the dat is taking dead feeders, then you're golden, and should be able to move onto other frozen foods easily. Pellet breaking is a big task.

Alexandboi

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2019
Keep feeding worms until it associates you with food. Starve it for a few days. Get a syringe. Soak some pellets in frozen krill juice or any wet food. Wait until pellets are soft. Put wet pellets through syringe and push it out. They'll be "worm" shape. Feed that to the datnoid. Do it for a few days. Then gradually make the pellet a little more dry and less worm shape. It should eventually take the dry pellets without any preparation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store