Debate

Can you mix africans and americans in the same tank?

• Total voters

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

Whats even funnier is the E-thug seems to know a bit.

LOOOOOOL!!!

twinturbo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
lols i didn't read the whole thing but do wanna add my 2 cents about water conditions. I/we always hear to NOT mix them due to them originating fr diff water bodies (& therefore diff conditions). to dat I wanna add, who cares!!! the only water condition dat the aquarist should worry about is fr their tap! can the 2 live comfortably fr the water in ur tap??? daz all dat matters.

but I would never mix them, I don't care for africans.

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
please, tell me how GH and PH effect the fishes body.

If you cannot scientifically answer this, then you should not post.

RhomBeusBoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Gettin' Crunked
twinturbo said:
I/we always hear to NOT mix them due to them originating fr diff water bodies (& therefore diff conditions). to dat I wanna add, who cares!!! .
Well its like this...most if not ALL da fish you encounter in your common lfs are not only "farm bred" but INBRED as hell...especially tha real popular species like yellow labs...they mus be tha most inbred of dem african species...to the point to where they are stupid fish....just watchin' them and you say, yo, thats a stupid fish dogg....but they are cute and colorful and.. expensive...where theres tha demand theres gonna be some drama yo.....and hybridized inbred "assorted africans" are a tight example...those fish are so f'ed that tha breeders have no f'in idea what they're keepin, yo....so they cant sell them under a specific name cuz there isnt one. . .and assorteds aint like a flowerhorn, cuz as much as I am against hybrids... those are blingin' .....

so basically to add to that quote above.....lakes have nothin to do with it...all they know is the water they were raised in...and the older and bigger and more inbred they get..the more they are gonna start to depend on those neutral conditions...like I mean that if your shizz is tight and you bring home a real old/big african from the lfs.. and assuming you got proper ph and hardness... they may not do well and die....or be stressed while they get acclimated to the higher and harder waters....jus get 'em young, dogg...and that applies to tha ladies too....aint nuttin better than a hot young ass...the only ones you really gotta worry about is tangs...they like really warm oxygenated water and are weak..

peace

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Peace, but what about the whales?

sleepyflight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
This is getting monotonous..... Ok, some things we've went over in the past.
1) We all (I believe) agreed at one time that if the pH is w/in the rhelm of almost as low as 6 up to 8.5+or so....most that I believe to be experienced here....we all agreed that you shouldn't bother messing with the pH.

2) The general hardness of the water more or less can be somewhat compared to having electrolytes in the human body. Some things work better or the body might be used to one mineral in the water. Either way there are substitutions for things.

3) Most lfs I've seen here and everywhere else have everything they own/sell on the same system, which means that they all have the same hardness, pH, temp (unless chilled comet tank) etc.

Honestly I think this is more of an opinion than anything. Maybe some slightly better accomodating conditions tailored to the fishes origin may slightly extend its life but probably not significant....$hit happens right, so pick your battles. Peacock kinda bluntly laid it out that I can probably guess that most here still don't have a perfect understanding of pH and GH from seeing some of the old threads. Rephrasing/restating, the water conditions can easily suit both make that a moot point, reason being that this is more of an opinion and not a factual debate.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've had mixed tanks practically since I started 6 yrs back in some way shape or form. Not boasting about my seemingly insignificant experience of 6 yrs compared to some of the other members buttttt..... I've never had a problem and there are definately tanks doing well that are mixed. All an opinion I say. Can we not call it a debate anymore?? All I'm seeing is opinions....I can visualize steam coming out of Peacocks ears just because he wants to spew some facts....please do!! That would make this a debate.

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
searcyb said:
well thanks for all the input I was just sick of hearing that you could not mix the two together. I am a big fan of the africans and I believe that they will be a good addition to my tank.
Good choice, and yes I'd tell anyone who says otherwise to stick it.

RhomBeusBoi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
Gettin' Crunked
no steam here, dogg . .I think some people need these kind of threads so they can form their own opinions and through tryin sh*t out at home they can become a more experienced hobbiest...with that said...jus cause some fellas are type some sh*t don't mean they should or are going to believe us or doesnt mean they know who they should listen to...as long as their is no direspect I think a lot can be learned from threads like deze....so what if it's redundant....who cares, yo...

I say do it, bro...its your tank and if you want those fish in there its all you, dogg...but if you lose one so what.. you will have learned...let us know whats up, aight..

peace.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store