Debating fish room

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
My wife and are looking over house plans. We have some land that we are going to build a home on so everything is a blank slate.

I am torn on how I want to move forward with my hobby. I have always planned on having a fish room, but now that reality has set in, I am starting to have doubts. If I do build a fish room, I will have use an outbuilding. We are not adding a basement. I worry that not having the fish inside will not allow as much time for enjoying the fish. An outbuilding would offer several advantages as far as maintenance, but would I really walk outdoors every afternoon to see whats is going on in the tanks?

For you guys that have fish rooms, do you have anything to say?

If I do not go with a fish-room then I plan to work in a large tank in my study. Something in the neighborhood of 8x3x2 depending on what kind of wall space I have to work with. The biggest negative to this option is that I would not be able to keep the number of species I would like. But the fish would be viewable from an area I would spend a lot of time in.

I could always add an extra outbuilding later if I choose, but it would be easier to budget for everything now. Any thoughts?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Build the outbuilding now. It's not that expensive to add in a metal workshop now, insulate and sheetrock it later. Put some tanks, if you don't like it, take them out and do something else with the outbuilding. If nothing else, you'll have plenty of storage.

You get a big tank in the house, start growing out some really cool fish, maybe get a pair to breed, you'll want some tanks to grow out fry. I like Zonatus a lot, and I'd like to grow out a bunch and pick the best one out. Jags--I'd like to grow some out and pick a truly great one.

Longer I keep fish, the more I realize how hard it is to just buy one and get a really great looking one. You have to pick from a BUNCH, and the only way I know to do that where I'm at is to grow out some fry.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Build the outbuilding now. It's not that expensive to add in a metal workshop now, insulate and sheetrock it later. Put some tanks, if you don't like it, take them out and do something else with the outbuilding. If nothing else, you'll have plenty of storage.

You get a big tank in the house, start growing out some really cool fish, maybe get a pair to breed, you'll want some tanks to grow out fry. I like Zonatus a lot, and I'd like to grow out a bunch and pick the best one out. Jags--I'd like to grow some out and pick a truly great one.

Longer I keep fish, the more I realize how hard it is to just buy one and get a really great looking one. You have to pick from a BUNCH, and the only way I know to do that where I'm at is to grow out some fry.

I agree. Why not build it now and give yourself the option down the road? Plus, it will end up being such a sanctuary from everything and you may find yourself in there more than you think you would.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I have a spare bedroom where I keep the tanks and have thought this over and my point of view is having a separate more less purpose built out building would be way better in some respects, for one you don't have all the humidity in your house and heaven forbid a tank busts or something catches on fire it's not in your home. Also it will be a place to get away. Put a couch and a TV in it too.thats what I'd do. The cons would be like you said you may not want to go out everyday so you might not be checking on them frequently so you might miss sick fish or equipment problems. Also you wouldn't be able to show your wife all the fun stuff you are doing, because I know all our SO's care as much as us. But yea it's a big choice because you're probably stuck with it. I say build it, make sure it's got a fridge and a couch.

Reactions: mrrobxc

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
My 1100g is in a detached garage. Beer fridge, power tools, am radio and chairs make it worth visiting every day for feedings. Build the outbuilding and enjoy!

Reactions: Chub_by

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
if your building the home and starting from a blank slate why not just
build the fish room into the house like a extension instead of a separate
building this way if you dont like it or have a change of heart about the hobby
you can use the extra space for something else or wall it off and use it as
a spare room or in the wall build and what not. use your imagination and be
creative. as said your starting from a blank slate "the sky is limit".

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
If you are building your home, the sky's the limit to what you can do. Cleckhou suffered a devastating loss when his house burned down. He lost everything including his dogs and fish. When he rebuilt, he added a dream fish room.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...600-gallon-acrylic-tank-melted.554225/page-13
I think this is the main reason why I'd build a separate building as long as it's within budget. Couldn't even imagine having to deal with this scenario

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store