December '08 : For another $25 of free fish, where in the world is this?

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
zenyfish;2554262; said:
Jeez. I gotta make this harder! First reply and it was already over.
Congratulations zenyfish and also to those of you who recognized views from the beautifully green island of Iceland as well.
That's some crazy columnar basaltic rock.

Please email me directly to claim your prize zenyfish bigguapote1@verizon.net

And some of you thought, based on the first entry, that I'd stick with music related questions?!
What a smart bunch of fellow fish geeks. I gotta dig way deeper in January.

Thanks for checking out this thread on a wintry evening.

sour_girl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2006
Toronto
Gorgeous! Just gorgeous!

zenyfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2006
OC, CA
bigguapote;2555210; said:
Congratulations zenyfish and also to those of you who recognized views from the beautifully green island of Iceland as well.
Groovy!

I didn't recognize it at all. The rock formations told me it was a volcanic region. And the lack of trees told me it was really cold there. The architecture of the buildings were of European origin, so those clues led me to Iceland ... it was more of a guess.

Muchas gracias!

bigguapote

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2005
New Jersey
www.tangledupincichlids.com
Yes, that was a trip of a lifetime that I took more than half a lifetime ago!
Basically two of us hiked and camped across the island in August.

Being so close to the Arctic Circle during summer time, it was daylight until very early in the AM. These very long 'days' were interupted briefly by only a couple hours of near darkness, quickly followed again by a very early sunrise.

I recall many 'recently formed' (geologically speaking) areas appearing so devoid of life, so unweathered and untraveled, they resembled lunar photos.

Fish wise, it was a real treat to see colorful little (6") grayling with a big, beautiful dorsal fin swimming in relatively small streams (2-3' wide, only several inches in depth).

I do not even know where my original photo album of this trip may be at this time. At least I found several pages of photos in another book that I could scan to post.

Here are a few others to view. I didn't want to post photos of the Nordic-looking horses or glacially formed valleys containing glacial runoff in the first post. Guess that didn't make much difference as many members here are certainly NOT geopraphically challenged. Great work everyone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store