Deformed oscar?!

Jimmyjones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2020
Welcome aboard
Yes the Oscars mouth and tail definitely deformed. Did you pay for the Oscar?
Yeah 8 bucks from petsmart I remember choosing a different Oscar too but she put this one in the bag and I didn't notice his weird stubby tail and beak until I got home. He seems to be getting around fine and he's eating is there any chance he'll live or does he have some disorder? Is this just from inbreeding?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yeah 8 bucks from petsmart I remember choosing a different Oscar too but she put this one in the bag and I didn't notice his weird stubby tail and beak until I got home. He seems to be getting around fine and he's eating is there any chance he'll live or does he have some disorder? Is this just from inbreeding?
If the Oscar eats with no issue then it could live for years. Tbh you won't know if it has a disorder until later with growth. Yes it could possibly be from inbreeding or poor genetics. I personally have fish with deformities and they have been doing well for years.

Jimmyjones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2020
Also bought 2 Oscars before him and they both had swim bladder problems i think and died/were dying in the tank at pet smart and didn't make the drive home. He's made it the farthest and is the best swimmer despite his appearance

Jimmyjones

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2020
If the Oscar eats with no issue then it could live for years. Tbh you won't know if it has a disorder until later with growth. Yes it could possibly be from inbreeding or poor genetics. I personally have fish with deformities and they have been doing well for years.
I would have thought petsmart would not be inbreeding fish this bad or sourcing from breeders who do this? All the Oscars they have have issues it seems at least where I am

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Also bought 2 Oscars before him and they both had swim bladder problems i think and died/were dying in the tank at pet smart and didn't make the drive home. He's made it the farthest and is the best swimmer despite his appearance
That's great to hear I personally would just take good care of the little Oscar.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would have thought petsmart would not be inbreeding fish this bad or sourcing from breeders who do this? All the Oscars they have have issues it seems at least where I am
Tbh it's out of Petsmart control they get fish from fish farms so it's difficult for them to insure perfect fish from distributors.

Reactions: Magnus_Bane
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store