Dirt bottom clean up question

driftdiver

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2006
Delray Beach, Florida
It has been years since I have kept FW tanks but we just set up a 60 gallon planted tank for my daughter. It has a mixture of black sand and plant substrate , which is pretty fine grained. With my reef setups sand bottoms are maintained by the clean-up crews and generally don’t need any maintenance. I have noticed that there is a significant amount of waste collecting but I am unsure what is the best method for cleaning it with the dirt bottom. If I try to use a gravel vacuum, it sucks up the substrate along with the waste. Any suggestions on the best solution would be great.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You can try increasing the flow to the area.
Otherwise, you just have to be careful about how you vacuum it. The detritus tends to be just light enough where if you hold the vacuum at the right height it will pick up the dirt and not the sand (a lot of trial and error).

There are clean up crew options in fw (though not as many as in a reef) like snails, shrimp, and crayfish. The fish options tend to limit these though.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
What I did was hold the vac at about 1in to 1.5 inch, depending on the weight of the substrate and make little circles, you get like a venturi effect and the bad comes up and substrate stays. You will need to find the right hight and circles size for your substrate, but over all works well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store