Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Hey all,

I have a group of 5 in a 120g with -

12 Rummy Nose
3 Cory
L 114
5 - ? Assassin Snails - clearly outnumbered

Recently rescaped and foods getting stuck in driftwood leading to snail boom - before scrapping scape id like to see if anyone has ideas -

I know my tanks with loaches and some cichlids snails get eaten… not sure loaches are Discus friendly ? vs one lil puffer?

2nd -
when pair breed and lay eggs - someone eats them over the night….

pleco prolly? vs other discus - contemplating separating out pair if i can figure out -

TY ??

DE93C170-1CE3-4BFC-94A9-C13975F0FB37.jpeg

7F0895FA-C430-411D-982C-648CAF807801.jpeg

F7590B1C-3692-4F31-BEAC-1FEC74F41058.jpeg

Reactions: tlindsey

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
not sure loaches are Discus friendly ?
Not one of the discus folks, but I'm one of the loach folk, so can answer this one for you.
I don't believe loaches are discus friendly, for the following reasons:

-They are much more aggressive eaters, which will lead to your discus being out-competed most of the time.
-They are active not only during the day, but also at night. This will stress discus trying to rest.
-Some species prefer faster flowing water. This problem could be solved for robust calm-water fish by having calm areas as well as flowing areas, but with sensitive and slow-swimming discus, the presence of any fast flow may be a major stressor whether or not there is calm water too.
-Not only that, some species (like clown and yoyo loaches) are much more boisterous, which will stress the discus even more.

Good luck finding a discus-friendly snail eater!

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Not one of the discus folks, but I'm one of the loach folk, so can answer this one for you.
I don't believe loaches are discus friendly, for the following reasons:

-They are much more aggressive eaters, which will lead to your discus being out-competed most of the time.
-They are active not only during the day, but also at night. This will stress discus trying to rest.
-Some species prefer faster flowing water. This problem could be solved for robust calm-water fish by having calm areas as well as flowing areas, but with sensitive and slow-swimming discus, the presence of any fast flow may be a major stressor whether or not there is calm water too.
-Not only that, some species (like clown and yoyo loaches) are much more boisterous, which will stress the discus even more.

Good luck finding a discus-friendly snail eater!
thanks for info! definitely don’t want to stress them -

i suppose a re scape is fun too - i’ll see if anyone joins in with ideas…

more assassin snails coming - $2 ea - they seem to die slowly in my care ??

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
Sorry about the assassin snails ?

For rescaping, from the picture of the tank, I can think of the following rescapes you may like:

-Lay some of the tall wood flat on its side on the bottom. This adds more variety and mimics nature where wood is arranged more randomly.
-Replace some of that very thick wood with tall plants, either live or fake. This also adds more variety and makes the tank look lusher.
-Replace some of that wood with natural-looking caves, like this one:

1647916184775.png

Reactions: dr exum

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Sorry about the assassin snails ?

For rescaping, from the picture of the tank, I can think of the following rescapes you may like:

-Lay some of the tall wood flat on its side on the bottom. This adds more variety and mimics nature where wood is arranged more randomly.
-Replace some of that very thick wood with tall plants, either live or fake. This also adds more variety and makes the tank look lusher.
-Replace some of that wood with natural-looking caves, like this one:

View attachment 1490932
i like the cave!

most likely will go heavy planted , co 2 , n such -

it’s more that i don’t can’t to store 150#’s of driftwood somewhere ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store