Discus questions

Petahhd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2011
Orange County
Hi guys. I've been keeping fishes for a while and now i'm trying my luck with discus. I bought 4 young discus, about 1 to 1 and a half inch, and right now they're in my growout tank. Tank is a 10 gallon with a sponge filter and a piece of driftwood. They're all in hiding right now, hopefully after a day they'll get used to the new environment. I'm planning to feed it 4 to 5 times a day. How can I get them to start accepting pellets? How often should i do water change?

Thanks guys.

Water

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Houston
You clearly should have done more research before you bought any Discus.. You're going to need to do daily 90-100% water changes. You're also going to need a bigger tank because the risk of stunting them in a tank that small is high. Grow out tanks should be a minimum of 40gallons for 4-5 small Discus. Vacuum any poop/debris you see settled on the bottom of the tanks. They should take fairly quickly to pellets, make sure the pellets are small enough for the Discus to swallow whole. Good luck.

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
multiple water change of 75%+ a day

get a bigger tank

buy atleast 1 more discus (the more the better)

get rid of the drift wood

feed every 2-3 hours minimum

dont just feed pellets only, vary their diets

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I agree with everything posted here except it's not necessary to vary the diet. If you feed a high quality like NLS they can eat that exclusivly for thier entire life. Sure you can treat with what ever you like but it's not necessary.

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
I agree with everything posted here except it's not necessary to vary the diet. If you feed a high quality like NLS they can eat that exclusivly for thier entire life. Sure you can treat with what ever you like but it's not necessary.

they can but that does not mean its good for their health. breeders dont get sloppy and lazy about feeding. ask any great breeder and they will tell you a variety in the discus diet is good.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
they can but that does not mean its good for their health. breeders dont get sloppy and lazy about feeding. ask any great breeder and they will tell you a variety in the discus diet is good.
A quality pellet is a varied diet in as much as all the nutrants required are there. Years ago before the advent of the newer pellets things like beef heart as an example were used however today it is absolutly not necessary and some contraversy over the effects it has on long term health is a hot debate. The Discus community is comming around to the idea of a complete diet in a quality pellet however it is a slow transition due to the old dog new trick syndrom in some instances. I know some long time discus breeders and importers of wilds and this same subject has come up in several conversations. Like I said you can treat with whatever you like but it's not necessary.

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
im not gonna argue about this but if a breeders that has deal with hundreds of thousands of discus for decades and can sell his stock faster than they can breed feeds a variety diet obviously its working. infact i ask kenny when i first order from him and he told me forrest feeds a variety. so if the great kenny and forrest does it then i would recomend everyone does it

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The Stendker discus below are owned by a local breeder who specializes in discus, all raised on an exclusive diet of NLS. The results speak for themselves.

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Please stop! You have a lot to learn and unless you are willing to to do so you will unfortuanly stagnate in the hobby. For you own education reasearch the subject and view the hundreds of threads on this and other sources that talk about this subject. The source of your fish while a very respected breeder with some beautiful fish is not as I'm sure he will tell you if you ask is not the be all and end all on the subject of fish nutrition, he does what has worked for him. That doesn't mean all reasearch on the subject of fish nutrition should stop. Capice?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store