DIY Fluidized canister filter finally sealed and churning... thoughts?

brandontw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2024
What tanks, gallons, livestock etc are you trying to run with this?
It's a 55gal with 18 young Mbuna.

I am under-filtered right now with a single cascade 700 canister but getting by because of small fish and good filter media. I want to add a shoal of catfish, and a tank upgrade is in the works for the future, so playing with filtration ideas now before it becomes a situation.

This 4gal container of fluidized media gives >250 SQ ft of media surface area vs the <50 SQ ft of 30ppi foam I have in the canister now.

Cal Amari

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2023
Hmmm, well I'm no expert on filtration but for a 55 with mbuna, even at 18 and adding catfish I can't imagine needing a fluidized reactor. There's lots of threads here about people trying to figure out maximizing surface area and cramming as much biomedian as they can into a filter, but from my limited experience, and comments from other very experienced aquarists such as duanes duanes , i believe once a tank is fully cycled it's a fairly small amount of biomedia actually needed, the bacteria only expand to the size of bioload provided, and they won't expand beyond that despite how much media is there. If you're still having ammonia or nitrite readings after maybe 6 months of operation then perhaps you need more biomedia, but less time could mean your cycle just isn't complete, or if it's nitrate you're worried about, bio won't help. Water changes and plants are the only solution. Or if water clarity is the issue then you need more mechanical filtration.

Anyhow still a cool experiment and contraption to get working, but You might need to clarify the specific filtration issue to see if you're solving anything.

brandontw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2024
Hmmm, well I'm no expert on filtration but for a 55 with mbuna, even at 18 and adding catfish I can't imagine needing a fluidized reactor. There's lots of threads here about people trying to figure out maximizing surface area and cramming as much biomedian as they can into a filter, but from my limited experience, and comments from other very experienced aquarists such as duanes duanes , i believe once a tank is fully cycled it's a fairly small amount of biomedia actually needed, the bacteria only expand to the size of bioload provided, and they won't expand beyond that despite how much media is there. If you're still having ammonia or nitrite readings after maybe 6 months of operation then perhaps you need more biomedia, but less time could mean your cycle just isn't complete, or if it's nitrate you're worried about, bio won't help. Water changes and plants are the only solution. Or if water clarity is the issue then you need more mechanical filtration.

Anyhow still a cool experiment and contraption to get working, but You might need to clarify the specific filtration issue to see if you're solving anything.
Yup, I get all that. I have an automatic water change system set up, so nitrate is not a big concern... I'll just adjust the amount of water changed to keep the nitrates at reasonable levels.

I also agree that the amount of biomedia required for ammonia oxidation is relatively small in most tanks. I am aiming for "overfiltration" so that additional dissolved organic compounds can be absorbed by the biomedia for clearer, healthier. My goal is to have almost no mechanical filtration, but just a ton of bio to see what can be done with just biofiltration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store