DIY Overflow Ver 9999

Iffrat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2009
Dallas Texas
well i like it .. if you have the pics of the ends i might give this build a shot since i just built my own .. but would be all about building another ..

Dane

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2010
Ohio
Here ya go:
Parts:
2" Sch 40
1" Sch 40
4- 2" to 1" Adapters (could get away with 2 if your cutting skills are good)
3 - 2" couplers
2- 1" Elbows
2 - 2" Plugs

On the adapters you will need to dremel the stops off so that the 1" pipe will go all the way through.
Cut the end off one of the adapters, then cut it in half:

Cut the plugs in half:

One adapter doesn't need cut, but does need a hole drilled in the top:

Here is pretty much a layout, I forgot to show one of the adapters in the photo in the bottom left:

KaiserSousay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2009
PartlyCloudyFlorida
Very clever.
Would think your design runs quietly as well.
Well done, my brother...
That dog will hunt.
Am going to stash your overflow into my file of projects that would be fun to build and that actually work.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
The only thing I would do is raise the "T" on the outlet side up a bit. I'd be more comfortable maintaining the siphon with a bit more water.

How did you start the siphon on this? Are you planning on installing a check valve to prevent any air buildups?

BTW, to be technical, this is kind of a cross between the DIY overflow and a HOB overflow. There technically isn't a siphon break. The siphon should always be there.

Dane

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2010
Ohio
I did install a check valve on the top of the inverted U coming out of the tank. Also there is a siphon break, it is the hole drilled into one of the adapters as you really don't need a whole lot to break the siphon. As far as moving the t up, probably right on that one as there is only about an 1" of water above the 1" pipe before it exits. Starting it is the same as you would the original. Although I have my own way by using a shop vac on the siphon break to pull the water through (I have a valve on my sump that I close so it doesn't pull from there).

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Dane;3927738; said:
I did install a check valve on the top of the inverted U coming out of the tank. Also there is a siphon break, it is the hole drilled into one of the adapters as you really don't need a whole lot to break the siphon. As far as moving the t up, probably right on that one as there is only about an 1" of water above the 1" pipe before it exits. Starting it is the same as you would the original. Although I have my own way by using a shop vac on the siphon break to pull the water through (I have a valve on my sump that I close so it doesn't pull from there).

I gotcha. The check valve isn't in the fully assembled pic, but it is in the disassembled pic. Didn't notice it at first.

Dane

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2010
Ohio
Pharaoh;3927960; said:
I gotcha. The check valve isn't in the fully assembled pic, but it is in the disassembled pic. Didn't notice it at first.
One other note on raising the T. Keep in mind that is a 2" outlet so if you put an adapter down to 1" it will raise it up a bit anyway. Also the adapter and plug at the bottom have to go into a T or Coupler, so if you raise the T you will have to add a coupler to accommodate the plug and adapter.

Dane

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2010
Ohio
Ok, so I figured out how to quick start this overflow. Grab your shop vac and put it on the check valve, put your finger over the siphon break (and assuming you have a valve going into your overflow turned off) everything will start in about 10 seconds or less.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store