Do Thai silk need more spirilina in diet?

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Hello, recently I acquired a thai silk Flowerhorn juvenile and he’s living by himself in a 75 gallon, he’s abit odd cause he’s sometimes very active begging for food and other times very skittish and not eating , I’ve noticed with Thai silks I’ve had in the past that if given not enough spirilina in there diet they always get bloat or a parasite, I pretreated for parasites when I got the him but I’ve still noticed on days he doesn’t eat much spirilina he gets digestion problems and starts acting strangely but on days I feed him spirilina cichlid pellets or give him frozen spirilina cubes he’s seems to be much more active and not as many digestion issues or issues with being skittish , was wondering if anyone had thoughts on this ?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
No more than any other FH. The entire group of fish are genetic misfits, prone to gastrointestinal issues.

Reactions: anzo1993

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
No more than any other FH. The entire group of fish are genetic misfits, prone to gastrointestinal issues.
I just ask because I’ve kept many red dragons and zz Flowerhorns and I find them to be much more hardy

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Im no expert, but I would think that with silks more line breeding and inbreeding would have taken place for that strain, hence less robust overall genetics - including immune system.

Reactions: anzo1993

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Im no expert, but I would think that with silks more line breeding and inbreeding would have taken place for that strain, hence less robust overall genetics - including immune system.
That would make the most sense

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store