User

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2022
better pics -

what is water quality / stess in tank?

not expert -

was it gradual or all of a sudden? looks like trauma
I don't really think its stress, the Oscar behaves and eat normally, he shares the tank with 2 smaller parrot fish, he gets along rather well with them and i have only seen it chase one of them once.

I do a 25 % water change weekly or so, the tank is near a window so algae does grow, however removed quickly using a magnetic scrub. (water looks slightly greenish because the lights in fish tank are off and when taking the pic the lights in the room were off too, as only sunlight was lighting the room at the time)

I have seen some of the small bumps on his head such as the one above his eye in the last pic for some time, however the larger white cut/hole appeared 1 day ago.

i will take more pics later, I am not at home

the tank is 55 gallons btw

User

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2022
I don't really think its stress, the Oscar behaves and eat normally, he shares the tank with 2 smaller parrot fish, he gets along rather well with them and i have only seen it chase one of them once.

I do a 25 % water change weekly or so, the tank is near a window so algae does grow, however removed quickly using a magnetic scrub. (water looks slightly greenish because the lights in fish tank are off and when taking the pic the lights in the room were off too, as only sunlight was lighting the room at the time)

I have seen some of the small bumps on his head such as the one above his eye in the last pic for some time, however the larger white cut/hole appeared 1 day ago.

i will take more pics later, I am not at home

the tank is 55 gallons btw

there are some palm sized rocks on the bottom of the tank one of them has slightly sharp end, but the Oscar got the hole/cut on this forehead and i don't really see how he could cut himself there.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
okay, how much water change do you recommended weekly?
50% or more and keep filters free of waste. I don't believe you can reverse the scars the Oscar already has but can stop it from getting worse with proper maintenance and wc's.

Reactions: Randles

User

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2022
50% or more and keep filters free of waste. I don't believe you can reverse the scars the Oscar already has but can stop it from getting worse with proper maintenance and wc's.
okay thanks, is there anything else I can do to prevent it from getting worse?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
okay thanks, is there anything else I can do to prevent it from getting worse?
The increased water changes and aquarium maintenance such as substrate vacuuming and filter maintenance should help it from worsening.

Reactions: Randles
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store