Dosing levamisole

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
So my miuris is eating a ton of food, but still looks very thin. I have levamisole, but have no idea how to use it. I’ve heard 800 mg per ten gallons, and I should half it for puffers. I measured out the powder, but it seemed like an extreme amount. Did I misread something? I would like to treat his food, how do I do that? I’m sorry if this has been covered before, but the search engine didn’t turn anything up. So what do I do?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I can't help with a suggested dosage but it would be extremely helpful for others that are to know either the brand name of levamisole you have AND the ingredient list or percentage in the product.

Did it come with any instructions?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
So even scaleless fish like loaches can take a 2ppm dose of levamisole of HCL (best treatment according to a Fish vet). Details here on how to measure https://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

90 mg/10 gallons using 100% pure Levamisole HCL.

So 800mg/10g seems pretty high even at 90% levamisole HCL. We would need to know how much of that is levamisole HCL.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
It is Levamed. It contains only levamisole hydrochloride as a powder. You fill the bottle up with 500ml of water, then add 10ml of that solution to a gallon of water for pigs to drink, allowing a gallon for each 100lb of pigs. I have no Idea what part of that cycle I would use to medicate food. So confused.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
So, I finally found a good article.
I'm figuring 50 gallons of water or so, it comes out at 450mg. If I divide that in half for puffer dosages, I should get 225mg. That's better.
So I guess I'm using the powder, so what dosage do I use to soak the food in?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
So, I finally found a good article.
I'm figuring 50 gallons of water or so, it comes out at 450mg. If I divide that in half for puffer dosages, I should get 225mg. That's better.
So I guess I'm using the powder, so what dosage do I use to soak the food in?
You did read that you need at 2ppm concentration right? not the 1ppm concentration that you are proposing. As for being fed, it's not necessary. Just feed the puffer freeze dried krill soaked in the tank water one hour after dosing the tank.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
So even scaleless fish like loaches can take a 2ppm dose of levamisole of HCL (best treatment according to a Fish vet). Details here on how to measure https://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

90 mg/10 gallons using 100% pure Levamisole HCL.

So 800mg/10g seems pretty high even at 90% levamisole HCL. We would need to know how much of that is levamisole HCL.
Thanks a million Rocksor for this link! Don't want to hijack the thread, but this is very useful for me in particular since I will have future loaches to medicate like that.

Reactions: Rocksor

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
Thats what I was looking for!
I was proposing the 1ppm concentration idea because I was led to believe that the dosage should be halved for scaleless fish. I guess I was just operating under that assumption.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
I’ve purchased from Inkmkr and Select Aquatics and they have different dosages. It’s a pretty broad range so it seems there’s a large safety margin using levamisole. I just split the difference between their dosages and it works fine.

Here’s InkMkr dosage:

The easiest is to just buy Fritz Aquatics Expel-P…1 packet per 10 gallons

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store