Efficient pump recommendation?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Got my new tank mostly set up but running into a heat generation issue. Same as with my last setup, which was using the same pump, although that had an additional smaller pump and other heat sources so I assumed it would go down a bit.

Anyway, I'm currently running a mag drive 9.5 which is a bit too powerful, forcing me to use a valve (not sure what you'd call these again, a cutoff valve?) at like 50% to staunch the flow a bit. (see pic) I'm pretty sure this is making the pump generate extra heat as it struggles against the resistance, plus it is not a very efficient pump to begin with.

Money isn't the primary concern, although googling around the best looking option is $700 from Royal Exclusiv Red Dragon (http://royalexclusiv.com/Flow-Pumps...agon-3-Mini-Speedy-50-Watt-1-321-gph::56.html).

If there's something cheaper that would do the job well and not generate so much heat I'd love to know. The nice thing about the red dragon is that it's adjustable, so I can turn down the RPMs to where I want it and hopefully not have to use the valve. A bit confused about its power requirements (via US outlets) though.

Any suggestions welcome, please! Don't wanna have to keep the top of this thing open all the time for heat exchange!

20170707_092819.jpg

Also here's a quick pic of what I've got going on so far:

20170707_093811.jpg

Reactions: dan518

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Jebao makes a decent pump ive been using the dct series for quite some time with no issues. Theres a few newer models out but all of them seem to be priced right and get the job done.

Thry are adjustable so thats a bonus and should allow you to dial it in with out much help from your valve depending on how you have everything plumbed

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Jebao makes a decent pump ive been using the dct series for quite some time with no issues. Theres a few newer models out but all of them seem to be priced right and get the job done.

Thry are adjustable so thats a bonus and should allow you to dial it in with out much help from your valve depending on how you have everything plumbed
I'll definitely look into them! The ability to adjust the pump's output itself would be a huge boon.

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SQX5CEW/ref=twister_B00SQX5CFG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

What type of pumps are you looking at with around 900 gph for $700.00?? Go with Jebao, dial in to your needed gph and never look back.

/end thread
Hey, I'm not complaining about the idea of spending 1/10th of the money. It is 1350 gph total for like half the wattage of my current unit and it's all fancy and titaniumy and German.

Your rec looks like the right size though and is the same brand as recommended above. Good amazon reviews too, will almost certainly end up going with this. Thanks!

Edit--I'll probably wait till the end of the day to see if anything else crops up worth checking out but this thing looks great. After reading more amazon reviews I'm really excited.

This kind of stuff is why this forum is so great! Y'all are an absolute treasure trove of information and experience!!!

Last edited:

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
Hey, I'm not complaining about the idea of spending 1/10th of the money. It is 1350 gph total for like half the wattage of my current unit and it's all fancy and titaniumy and German.

Your rec looks like the right size though and is the same brand as recommended above. Good amazon reviews too, will almost certainly end up going with this. Thanks!

I think if you look around this site at threads or reviews about these pumps you will be impressed. I don't think i have ever heard anyone say anything bad about them..I run one on my ray tank.

Reactions: Mount_Prion

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I think if you look around this site at threads or reviews about these pumps you will be impressed. I don't think i have ever heard anyone say anything bad about them..I run one on my ray tank.
I mean my mag drive uses 90W of power for an advertised 950gph. This thing is using 30 for an advertised 1056 gph. Pretty big difference in energy consumption and presumably resultant heat generation.

Reactions: Dixon81

Dixon81

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2008
Massachusetts
I mean my mag drive uses 90W of power for an advertised 950gph. This thing is using 30 for an advertised 1056 gph. Pretty big difference in energy consumption and presumably resultant heat generation.
It uses 30 Watts at that 1056 gph flow rate which reading your thread you need maybe 1/2 or 3/4 of that lowering your watt consumption even more.

There is 0 heat generated. I run mine at over 1800gph and its cool to the touch.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
When my Mag drive pumps got old they tended to put out a lot of heat, and vibration also became worse with age, making them noisy.
I started switching them out with Laguna Max Flow pond pumps, and have been pleased with lack of heat, less noise, and slightly less power usage. The flow I usually use @ 2000gph.
A Laguna Max Flow pump with a similar flow rate to yours (960gph), is on the drsfostersmith site for @ $130, a 600pgh is @$100

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store