electric blue cichlid breeding?

I_Luv_Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
oh and i have a question what is the difference between sciaenochromis ahli and haplochromis ahli?

rollerboy244

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Haplochromis ahli is an old name for Sciaenochromis ahli.The species known for being the typical electric blue cichlid is actually Sciaenochromis fryeri.Sciaenochromis ahli is a legitimate species just not as popular or as colorful.A lot of references still refer to them as Sciaenochromis or Haplochromis ahli---what does it really matter as long as you are referring to the electric blue cichlid

I_Luv_Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
lol well i was just wondering because people say they are different and some say they are the same but my haplochromis look more yellow-blue than they look blue which i dont know why and i thought that the reason for that was the difference in the scientific name which then led me to believe that that meant there was a difference in the color because the haplochromis at the lfs where i got mine have barely any blue on them and the sciaenochromis at petco are much more beautifuly colored so i just thought there was a difference!!!

rollerboy244

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2005
Sciaenochromis fryeri varies a bit depending where it is collected in Lake Malawi,check out Cichlid forum in their species gallery they show the different locale variants.Iceberg is the most popular ,i think ,it lacks a lot of the yellow in the anal fin and has a more prominent white blaze on forehead.Too me some variants seem more streamlined than others.
My Electric Blue was bluer at the local fish store,it was dimly lit with black background and filled with many males in about a 29 gallon tank.When i released it in my tank it lost the blueness,i began doubting it's authenticity and sex,it was about 2 ".But by the time he was 2-1/2-3" he started coloring up.It has been 6 monthes and he's about 3-1/2" brilliant with a lot of orangeish yellow in anal fin.He's the king of my 180 community tank

riskistang

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2005
North Aurora, IL 60542
As far as activity they are like married people but actually do it....they hang out constantly. As far as breeding them, you should try to have caves, clay pots, holes in drift wood for them to swim in and nest. They really don't lay in the open. To bring the freak out in your fish turn the temp of the water 2 degress 1 degree every other day. This gets them in the mood. If you have apair then it should work for you. I can set my clock to my fish.

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
i have a pair of eb haps that breed like crazy!
i use their fry as feeders. :grinno:

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
does it look like this

bluedempsey

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2005
Monster's r us
piranha45 said:
do you catch the female and pry the fry out of her mouth?
exactly :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store