Electric eel

BOOMSHAKER

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2022
Stoke on Trent UK
Hi guys. I’ve recently had an electric eel. I had put a small cichlid in with him and he has lived fine with it for a couple of months. I’ve seen a few videos of electric eels in tanks with other fish. Has anybody else had good experiences with adding fish to an electric eel tank?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Has anybody else had good experiences with adding fish to an electric eel tank?
I've never heard of anyone adding fish to coexist with a electric eel. Only fish added were for food.
Electric eel's impulse will probably stress other species out.

BOOMSHAKER

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2022
Stoke on Trent UK
I thought that. But I’ve seen videos of Midas and stuff swimming around happily with a few electric eels. And that little jewel cichlid I had in there was happy as Larry.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
How big is the eel? It’s hard to imagine the cichlid not becoming lunch eventually.
Any of the sensory signals probably won’t harm the cichlid, but once it does a kill shock it probably won’t be fun to be in the same tank.

Reactions: tlindsey

BOOMSHAKER

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2022
Stoke on Trent UK
The eel is 2 foot. The cichlid was about 3 inch. The eel has shocked my finger and my sister’s boyfriends arm, but the jewel never seemed bothered. I also added 50 guppies. They all touched him and were fine. They soon got gobbled in the night though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store