EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
The shell is broken - it must be surgically put back, otherwise, if you leave it, it may not bind correctly. If the shell has maggots it has an underlying condition. It may have gotten hit by a car, but the bottom line is you can make it comfortable, but he will die soon. If you do decide to spend money on him, there is a high chance his shell and flesh will get infected. The shell is everything for a tortoise. You would have to immobilize him for months on end. However, I would try to take him to a wildlife sanctuary. They might decide to save him, but otherwise, it’s your call.

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
The shell is broken - it must be surgically put back, otherwise, if you leave it, it may not bind correctly. If the shell has maggots it has an underlying condition. It may have gotten hit by a car, but the bottom line is you can make it comfortable, but he will die soon. If you do decide to spend money on him, there is a high chance his shell and flesh will get infected. The shell is everything for a tortoise. You would have to immobilize him for months on end. However, I would try to take him to a wildlife sanctuary. They might decide to save him, but otherwise, it’s your call.
There no wildlife places around here but I’ll call around and figure something out. I grew up looking for these turtles after baseball games when I was like 4-7yo. I refuse to let this guy die without atleast doing something to help him.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Imo you need to get the shell cleaned and disinfected, because he could die of sepsis, and he most definitely has some sort of infection. Try and keep the shell pieces as clean as you can - disinfect every couple hours or so. Perhaps call an exotic animal vet to see what they recommend.

Reactions: Bluesandtwo

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
The maggots are bad, really bad. I have him soaking rn in water and salt and a lot of the maggots are climbing up the shell out of the water and it’s freaking nasty

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Looking back at the picture I’m not sure what you can do to help him. Take all the maggots off, continue to soak in lukewarm water, and you must must must find some way to keep the raw skin and shell clean. He needs antibiotics soon, so try and ask a vet for a prescription. Offer him food as well - veggies that are high in calcium (Collared Greens are the best). If he does not eat, which is likely, you might want to make a trip to Petco/pet smart and see if they have commercial tortoise pellets or rabbit food. Soak in water and add calcium. I use this kind, but not sure about box tortoise nutrition.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
The maggots are bad, really bad. I have him soaking rn in water and salt and a lot of the maggots are climbing up the shell out of the water and it’s freaking nasty
Maggots will eat there way through the tortoise and kill it. Keep him in water for an hour+ and let the maggots drown. After, look for eggs. Have you seen him move around?

Edit: you might want to look into vinegar baths. I’m not sure about vinegar and tortoises, but you should look into bathing him in diluted vinegar.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Maggots will eat there way through the tortoise and kill it. Keep him in water for an hour+ and let the maggots drown. After, look for eggs. Have you seen him move around?

Edit: you might want to look into vinegar baths. I’m not sure about vinegar and tortoises, but you should look into bathing him in diluted vinegar.
Yes he’s moving around right now a lot. From what I’m seeing, the eggs have all fell off into the water and so have some but not many of the maggots. He not a fan of the water lol. I flipped him for a second to see the maggots on the bottom and they’re all clumped together on the bottom worth a few going up the side of the shell. I called odnr and she put me on with a rehab person but they didn’t answer. I’m gonna leave him soaking for a while and check back after I watch a jackass movie. Idk of its recrommnded but I poured a tiny bit of hydrogen peroxide on the bottom his shell and instantly hundreds of eggs fell into the water. All that’s left are maggots that are currently drowning, when they die Will they fall off of him?

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
The white are eggs that have fell off. I’m gonna squirt some rubbing alcohol into the cracks on his bottom. The maggots won’t come off of him though. Some have but they’re staging clumped up and won’t come out.
image.jpg

Reactions: Bluesandtwo
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store