Entire Living room flooded this morning!!!

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Well, today at 1 am in the morning am awaken by loud bangs on the door. At first I thought it was the police, but when I started approaching the living room, which is carpet covered btw. I noticed the most terrifying noise I ever heard, the sound of my bare feet splashing around in 2 inches of water. Worst fear coming to reality, as I continue walking into the living room , I look to my right and there it was, a 220 gallon tank half empty, with filters still running. I thought the worst of it , when I answered the door it was my bottom floor tenant telling me his ceiling was getting wet. Now as I turn towards the tank and at this point , everything seems to be moving at slow motion. I inspect the tank fast and I realized there is no cracks, nothing is broken so how the heck, am missing 50% of water that's laying all over my living room and dinning room. 110 gallons on the floor is a scary sight, now at this point I realized my 15" long 2.5" wide fat Endli bichir is gone, so there laying next to the dinning table which is like 5 feet from the tank, lays my pride and joy, wasn't moving and he looked dark so I left him there for dead as I turned all my filters off. Now I approached the Endli and touched him, he was dry and wasn't moving so I grabbed him. Once I layed a full grasp on him the son of a gun starts jerking around so I freak out and dumped him in the tank. He started gasping for air in the bottom for a good 10 minutes then starts swimming like nothing ever happened..... are you serious >??????? So at this point I start looking to see how this whole mess happended. My tank has super heavy glass lids only with a small opening in the back for the inlet and outlet of the filters, literally about 2" gap, there I realized that one of the output was knocked out of the tank. So this little son of a gun somehow I mean 1% freak of nature must of bolted himself straight into the output that only has a small 2 " gap and knocked it off the tank and himself................................................................................. Well to make the story short from now on. Had to call a vacuum company at 2 am, which they surprisingly came in like 20 min, vacuumed my place, cleaned carpet, dried it in under an hour... A++ service . I refilled tank and everything back to normal.

What I learned from this>? don't underestimate the strength of this bichirs.. my goodness .. I also placed 3 x heavy duty suction cups on every output so no more knocking it right off.

I had a beautiful night, 4: 30 am I finished cleaning everything up and I had to leave to work at 5.... Welcome to my world !

Reactions: Dew

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Sorry to hear about this. Glad it's simple but costly fix. Hope ur day gets better. Yea...poly power all the way!

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I don't believe your story....:rolleyes:. Wow, the best part was how it came back to life. Glad to hear how you were able to quickly get things back in order...not to mention, having cleaner carpet as a result.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Glad you survived it. Hopefully you have renter's insurance to take care of your neighbor's ceiling.
I do, thank goodness for that.
Worse nightmare right there! Glad it all woked out okay.
Trust me, I was shaking lol. I thought the darn thing busted on me and 220 gallons were on my floor along with my $ 1500 on fish. about got a heart attack

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have seen the results of wet carpet. In fact I will not keep tanks on carpet due to tank failures and my experience as a carpet installer. I am not familiar with the type cleaning service you mentioned. I may be wrong, but will be suprised if the floor and all are completly dry in an hour. This is especially true if the carpet has a foam type under pad.

I gather you are in Florida. May I suggest running fans with open windows on mild days. You may also have days warm enough to run the AC. The AC will take moisture from the air. A dehumidifier might also be a wise investment.

It is my understanding that carpet wet with clean water can be dryed and re-used. It is the pad that almost always must be repalced. The pad will retain the moisture and will grow mold and damage wood floors. On a slab the mold can be an issue.

Good luck

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
I don't believe your story....:rolleyes:. Wow, the best part was how it came back to life. Glad to hear how you were able to quickly get things back in order...not to mention, having cleaner carpet as a result.
I went to bed around 11 pm and I heard the bang on my door around 1 am. So it was only 2 hour difference, I didn't think this guys would survive that long outside water, specially dried out . I was a nervous wreck, but yeah. Good thing everything worked out, seriously.

Pataphysicist

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Boynton Beach
Hello; I have seen the results of wet carpet. In fact I will not keep tanks on carpet due to tank failures and my experience as a carpet installer. I am not familiar with the type cleaning service you mentioned. I may be wrong, but will be suprised if the floor and all are completly dry in an hour. This is especially true if the carpet has a foam type under pad.

I gather you are in Florida. May I suggest running fans with open windows on mild days. You may also have days warm enough to run the AC. The AC will take moisture from the air. A dehumidifier might also be a wise investment.

It is my understanding that carpet wet with clean water can be dryed and re-used. It is the pad that almost always must be repalced. The pad will retain the moisture and will grow mold and damage wood floors. On a slab the mold can be an issue.

Good luck
Yeah the carpet has a foam under, the guy told me most of the water was retained by the foam and that only the corner were the output was directly spraying on was the one that got through the foam into the bottom neighbor ceiling. I will run fans and AC for as long as I feel the carpet is super dry. I will look into a humidifier right away. Thank you for the advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store