Ever seen a Gymnothorax javanicus?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I living next to the ocean (actually very close to a fishing pier) but I don't fish much because I ended up keeping those I caught rather then use them as food :)
*15 years ago I caught 3x Juv. Leopard Shark (14 inches) and I kept them for 2 years then they became to big to keep them in my tank and I donated them to publish aquarium (Leopard Shark and Rays are common catch around my area).

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
A grouper moray combo is indeed probably one of the coolest combos possible.

As for crabs? I've gotten 12 crabs in one go after crabbing for an hour and a half. Casually, with one trap. That might be just dumb luck, but I could use it as a supplement to the fish. I do wonder how many pounds I would have to feed the two of these fish. I think I would definitely be feeding 10s of pounds a month right?

I would probably give the tank some small feeding openings, and otherwise bolt it down. The glass would have to be extra thick as well. I would keep an anaesthetic on hand, in case I need to maintain the tank, so I could knock out the fish. Sounds like fun, but not something I'm doing within the next 6 years. I might start the construction in my free time though.

Makes it feel like some sort of jurassic park ;P
Yes, you'd easily be feeding 10s of pounds of food per month. A 4 foot grouper is going to eat a LOT of food. Crabs would have to be a supplement unless you can get enough... which is doubtful

Sounds like a good plan for the tank's lid. I don't think you'd want to knock out the fish, especially with fish like eels and groupers that have no scales - they don't appear to do well with being knocked out. Chainmail gloves up to your shoulder is an option.

Lol, you could have a fish room modeled after jurassic park. You've got the t-rex (your monster eel), the velociraptors (your deepwater sharks), and a few more of your choice. Would be pretty fun ;)

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I living next to the ocean (actually very close to a fishing pier) but I don't fish much because I ended up keeping those I caught rather then use them as food :)
*15 years ago I caught 3x Juv. Leopard Shark (14 inches) and I kept them for 2 years then they became to big to keep them in my tank and I donated them to publish aquarium (Leopard Shark and Rays are common catch around my area).
Sounds awesome, but the oregon coast doesn't have that many cool sharks and critters unfortunately :/

If I had a large pool going I might try a juvenile tiger shark, but that sounds risky and irresponsible, and I have no idea how I'd catch one anyway.

I've been seeing if I can get deep sea sharks from bycatch here in Turkey, since there's a large chance I'll be living here for the next six years. But otherwise, my permanent residence is at Oregon, and the species of fish there are usually pelagic and hard to keep in a tank, though I guess I could build a tidal pool tank sometime (that's not as interesting as a predatory tank)

But now I'm somewhat hyped for a giant moray eel. :/ I thought I had let go of my obsession of eels when I had to pick between sharks and morays. Anyway, if I were to attempt the giant eels, I would actually go for the honeycomb eel over the giant, as the honeycomb grows to the same size but is prettier ;P

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Sounds awesome, but the oregon coast doesn't have that many cool sharks and critters unfortunately :/

If I had a large pool going I might try a juvenile tiger shark, but that sounds risky and irresponsible, and I have no idea how I'd catch one anyway.

I've been seeing if I can get deep sea sharks from bycatch here in Turkey, since there's a large chance I'll be living here for the next six years. But otherwise, my permanent residence is at Oregon, and the species of fish there are usually pelagic and hard to keep in a tank, though I guess I could build a tidal pool tank sometime (that's not as interesting as a predatory tank)

But now I'm somewhat hyped for a giant moray eel. :/ I thought I had let go of my obsession of eels when I had to pick between sharks and morays. Anyway, if I were to attempt the giant eels, I would actually go for the honeycomb eel over the giant, as the honeycomb grows to the same size but is prettier ;P
I can put you in touch with at least one, if not two people that can get you a tiger shark. I doubt they would sell you one if you didn't have a good-sized final home for it though, lol. They are highly regulated in the US though - catching one and keeping it live is NOT recommended by anyone, really.

As for the honeycomb/giant debate... have you ever seen Zoodiver's old javanicus? Here's a link to where you can see it, scroll down a bit and it's there. His was actually kept in a 12 foot diameter tank with reef sharks, rays, and a honeycomb moray.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386404

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Yes, you'd easily be feeding 10s of pounds of food per month. A 4 foot grouper is going to eat a LOT of food. Crabs would have to be a supplement unless you can get enough... which is doubtful

Sounds like a good plan for the tank's lid. I don't think you'd want to knock out the fish, especially with fish like eels and groupers that have no scales - they don't appear to do well with being knocked out. Chainmail gloves up to your shoulder is an option.

Lol, you could have a fish room modeled after jurassic park. You've got the t-rex (your monster eel), the velociraptors (your deepwater sharks), and a few more of your choice. Would be pretty fun ;)
Holy **** I'm pumped.

I think chainmail would have to be at the joints, however. The rest would have to be platemail if I want any chance, plus I'm somewhat afraid of the eel pulling me in. https://www.louisiana.edu/sites/research/files/NeifferFishSedation.pdf
This site suggests that 45-100 mg/L of tricaine methane sulfanate would be what I need for moray eels. Given a 1500 gallon tank, that's what, 6000 liters? 600,000 mg, so 0.6 kilograms? My lord. That's a lot of anaesthetics, that no one is gonna sell me lol. That, and a kilo of the stuff is 650 bucks, which I guess is better than losing an arm, but still.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Holy **** I'm pumped.

I think chainmail would have to be at the joints, however. The rest would have to be platemail if I want any chance, plus I'm somewhat afraid of the eel pulling me in. https://www.louisiana.edu/sites/research/files/NeifferFishSedation.pdf
This site suggests that 45-100 mg/L of tricaine methane sulfanate would be what I need for moray eels. Given a 1500 gallon tank, that's what, 6000 liters? 600,000 mg, so 0.6 kilograms? My lord. That's a lot of anaesthetics, that no one is gonna sell me lol. That, and a kilo of the stuff is 650 bucks, which I guess is better than losing an arm, but still.
No way I'd be paying that much for anaesthetics, lol I'd just have a few spotters there and hope for the best :rofl:

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
I can put you in touch with at least one, if not two people that can get you a tiger shark. I doubt they would sell you one if you didn't have a good-sized final home for it though, lol. They are highly regulated in the US though - catching one and keeping it live is NOT recommended by anyone, really.

As for the honeycomb/giant debate... have you ever seen Zoodiver's old javanicus? Here's a link to where you can see it, scroll down a bit and it's there. His was actually kept in a 12 foot diameter tank with reef sharks, rays, and a honeycomb moray.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2386404
Yeah, no, I don't ever want to get an animal I can't keep its entire life. For me, tiger sharks have basically always been a non-option, they should stay in the ocean where they belong for the most part.
And yeah, the javanicus looks sick. But so does the honeycomb :/

But now that I think about it the javanicus looks slightly cooler.

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
No way I'd be paying that much for anaesthetics, lol I'd just have a few spotters there and hope for the best :rofl:
Yeah lol. I'll be wearing full knight armor and hope for the best. Seriously though, divers go around petting these guys like it's nothing. One wonders if they would still dare do that if they really knew how powerful a hungry moray is. That and double jaws. Get bitten once and there's no escaping.

I like how I've been talked into getting a giant moray. Welp, oh well, there's another thing on the list of tanks I need in my final aquariroom.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yeah, no, I don't ever want to get an animal I can't keep its entire life. For me, tiger sharks have basically always been a non-option, they should stay in the ocean where they belong for the most part.
And yeah, the javanicus looks sick. But so does the honeycomb :/

But now that I think about it the javanicus looks slightly cooler.
I haven't seen any others that look that great. But then again, that was under professional LED lighting - which probably looks better than the sunlight on a dark reef. I personally think that eel looks much nicer than the tessie, I am not a huge fan of tessies actually. Not that I wouldn't get one, but they're not super attractive IMO. Japanese dragons, undies, fangtooths, greens, giants, goldentails, whitemouths, etc - all nice looking eels. Some of them run over a grand though, lol. Check this out:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1033/1414532352_bd8bbd52e3.jpg

Ever see the video where that one took off the diver's thumb? I'm sure you have, Animal Planet always shows that video (or they used to, back when they played stuff about animals). Yeah, if you get bit you're pretty much screwed. If they get a good hold on you, one twist and your arm's dislocated - not something to play around with. Very beautiful animal though, if I could get one and provide it with a proper home I would in a heartbeat. I agree, on the list of tanks I need at some point!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store