Ever seen a Gymnothorax javanicus?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Yuki, agreed that's a damn nice looking tesselata.

UPDATE for anyone interested - I have found a source for a Gymnothorax jacanicus: it's called Quality Marine. They don't have a price up, because if I am not mistaken, you need a wholesale account in order to get something from them. However I am going to contact them shortly to see if they would be willing to sell a single eel directly - if not, you would have to find a LFS near you that has a wholesale account with them.

Unfortunately they do not have any price for the fish listed on their website. Depending on how much money we get to work with this summer for my old school, I'm hoping we will get a giant moray. I also want to get a blue and yellow grouper, Epinephelus flavocaeruleus - stunning fish.

Reactions: Yuki Rihwa

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Yuki, agreed that's a damn nice looking tesselata.

UPDATE for anyone interested - I have found a source for a Gymnothorax jacanicus: it's called Quality Marine. They don't have a price up, because if I am not mistaken, you need a wholesale account in order to get something from them. However I am going to contact them shortly to see if they would be willing to sell a single eel directly - if not, you would have to find a LFS near you that has a wholesale account with them.

Unfortunately they do not have any price for the fish listed on their website. Depending on how much money we get to work with this summer for my old school, I'm hoping we will get a giant moray. I also want to get a blue and yellow grouper, Epinephelus flavocaeruleus - stunning fish.
Thanks. :)
My local LFS pretty much can order any species if I gave them the information, I usually got my order within a week. I saw the juv. giant moray for sale from time to time in my LFS and the price usually cost less than a Tessalata same size. My LFS got a few 12 inches bumblebee grouper for sale too but I worry it will eat all my cleaner shrimps lol. Good Luck with your find/order.
Oh, I found this picture on google...Be sure get right size so they don't eat each other :p
DSC01575.jpg

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Thanks. :)
My local LFS pretty much can order any species if I gave them the information, I usually got my order within a week. I saw the juv. giant moray for sale from time to time in my LFS and the price usually cost less than a Tessalata same size. My LFS got a few 12 inches bumblebee grouper for sale too but I worry it will eat all my cleaner shrimps lol. Good Luck with your find/order.
Oh, I found this picture on google...Be sure get right size so they don't eat each other :p
View attachment 1204221
That's a bumblebee grouper in the picture, I've actually talked to the guy who owned/owns that grouper (he hasn't been around for a few years) and that thing was a BEAST - the only larger grouper I have seen in a private tank was C capo larzo 's and that thing hit like 3 feet before he got rid of it - he kept it with a lemon shark. A member named High Five on 3Reef keeps a 15,000 gallon pond with some kind of grouper in it - he said the grouper was "upset" in its 3,000 gallon pond, talk about a spoiled fish! I haven't seen any shots of it, I would imagine it's gotta be a bumblebee grouper though - I know of no other species that are available that would even come close to outgrowing a 3,000 gallon. I haven't seen much of him on the internet though, and he's not been online in two years.

That's cool about the prices, that means I could probably snatch one for under $150. The groupers start at about $120, for like a 2-3" fish - but groupers aren't exactly "slow-growing" fish. Trying to come up with other tankmates, I have found a guy online who actually says he's got a 1,500 gallon tank with a green moray and a blue and yellow grouper (very odd and somewhat rare combination) so I am trying to contact him (waiting for a response I should say) about what he keeps with his dynamic duo. That's very odd though, a 1,500 gallon tank with a blue and yellow grouper and a green moray - an unconventional tank size, and two unconventional fish - all three are what I had thought of doing at least 24 hours before I had seen his post. Very strange

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Just a little update...My Tess finally (almost) wiped out entire Damsels pack, only 1 Blue velvet and a domino damsel left in tank. I was want to add a 12 inches Coral Hind Grouper into my tank but I was a bit later and the LFS sold it (I thought nobody want that big grouper since it was in LFS tank for over 2 months).

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Just a little update...My Tess finally (almost) wiped out entire Damsels pack, only 1 Blue velvet and a domino damsel left in tank. I was want to add a 12 inches Coral Hind Grouper into my tank but I was a bit later and the LFS sold it (I thought nobody want that big grouper since it was in LFS tank for over 2 months).
Try a blue and yellow grouper. Although I don't know where to get a big one. Beautiful grouper that stays under 4 feet. The Mote Marine Aquarium keeps a green in a 1,200 gallon with a red grouper and some neon gobies, for some ideas

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I have no rush to look for the species that I like :p I saw blue, and yellow for sale all the time in 5~7 inches range so those more like food for my Tess, I'm asking LFS look for big one but it will take sometimes (I'm feeding my Tess mackerel 7~8 inches in size and its swallow whole fish without any problems).

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I have no rush to look for the species that I like :p I saw blue, and yellow for sale all the time in 5~7 inches range so those more like food for my Tess, I'm asking LFS look for big one but it will take sometimes (I'm feeding my Tess mackerel 7~8 inches in size and its swallow whole fish without any problems).
Yeah, never seen a big one. They grow quickly though, perhaps it's time for another tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store