Extremely small fahkara puffer help

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
So i have a 150 set up for him. He finally arrived and he's maybe a half inch if that extremely small! I have a MBU puffer in my 800 gallon so I understand what too feed and everytbjbg about them my question is how!!
Being so small in a big tank will he find the food?
My plan was too try bloodworms and maybe try and pellet train him early.. what would be the best course of action to feed him and help him find food in such a big tank

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Do you have a small tank to keep him in until he grows a bit? Perhaps you could divide off a small portion of the 150 for him.
One benefit to puffers being smart is that if you feed in the same area he should eventually figure it out.

puffers4puffers

Dovii
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2008
Kensington CA
First…..I don’t recommend keeping them together.
the fahakas are way too aggressive, especially when older
I too have a mbu (4 yrs) that’s 24”+ in what is now obviously in a too small tank (450gal)
I would consider 2 option: a) plumb a smaller tank into the existing system or b: separate tank for the single puffer
this will allow you to monitor the feeding of the smaller fish AND prevent and puffer v puffer damage
i fear the smaller fahaka will nip at the fins of the mbu
as far as food for the lil’ bugger…small aquarium snails, crickets, blood worms, black worms, small crayfish

good luck
i look forward to updates

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
First…..I don’t recommend keeping them together.
the fahakas are way too aggressive, especially when older
I too have a mbu (4 yrs) that’s 24”+ in what is now obviously in a too small tank (450gal)
I would consider 2 option: a) plumb a smaller tank into the existing system or b: separate tank for the single puffer
this will allow you to monitor the feeding of the smaller fish AND prevent and puffer v puffer damage
i fear the smaller fahaka will nip at the fins of the mbu
as far as food for the lil’ bugger…small aquarium snails, crickets, blood worms, black worms, small crayfish

good luck
i look forward to updates
I don’t think the puffers are going together - it looks like the 150 is meant solely for the fahaka.
Op was just saying they aren’t a stranger to puffer care.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Finster90

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2022
I don’t think the puffers are going together - it looks like the 150 is meant solely for the fahaka.
Op was just saying they aren’t a stranger to puffer care.
Correct i was saying I have exp with puffers, I would never put them together thats crazy. Maybe ill divid the tank for the time being just too isolate him a bit till he's bigger, not a bad idea.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I'm not a puffer guy, so this is just a general comment regarding very small fish in big tanks. This is one of the very few places where bigger isn't necessarily better, as the tiny fish may never locate the food. Keeping him in a smaller tank for awhile...the infamous "growout" idea...works but carries with it the decreased quality and stability of a smaller body of water.

I have on many occasions helped tiny fish get a good start by keeping them in a transparent plastic container or bin floating in the big tank. Drill a bunch of holes at one end of the bottom/sides, and then use a small pump or powerhead or even an airlift to direct a stream of tank water from the main tank into the other end of the bin. The fish is thus deriving all the benefits of a large water volume but is being confined to a smaller area making feeding easier.

Even when the small fish has tamed to the point where it eats food as soon as it is offered, this method prevents smaller torn-off chunks from washing away and becoming lost. Turning the flow down or completely off during feeding may be helpful.

The other way that has worked great for me is to situate a smaller tank right on top of the main tank, or on a shelf above it. Set it up so that an overflow from the small tank carries water to the main one, then use a pump to introduce water from the main into the small one. This won't be possible with an airlift, you'll need an actual pump for this.

Another alternative is to set up the small tank alongside the big one, so that the tops are level with each other. Set up two siphons joining the two tanks, then place an upward facing U on the bottom of one end of one of the siphons and turn it into an airlift. Again, the two tanks are linked, with water flowing only when the airlift is activated. Easy to change flow rate by adjusting air flow and/or by altering the height of the airlift. Depending upon what is more convenient, you can either pump the water into or out of the smaller tank, allowing the natural siphon to complete the other half of the circuit.

All of these ideas are fairly easy to cobble together, and can be made as permanent or as temporary as you wish. :)

Reactions: bradleyagregg
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store