Fahaka puffer tank size

ChrisSDM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2021
Hi,

I've currently got a 66 inch x 18 inch x 18 inch tank up and running and looking at restocking. Have been interested in puffers for years but have never made the plunge.
I'm aware it is on the smaller side but wondering if I could get away with housing a fahaka in this sized tank? Tank is already over filtered and can always add to filtration anyway.
Have read some conflicting things about tank size so wanted a bit of info on personal experience.

Any help appreciated ?

ChrisSDM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2021
If you are willing to spend the money, you can get Tetraodon schoutedeni for that tank. They do fine as groups as well. Now if you really had money, then another single larger puffer option is Tetraodon pustalatus(~12").
Yeah I have also been debating those options but pricing is the biggest issue. I'm UK based and cheapest I can find the schoutedeni is for £150 each, would ideally like a group of 6 as well so quite a big hit to the finances.
I've found one source for the pustalatus but at £1000, also too steep for me atm.
Both gorgeous puffers but unfortunately out of reach.

Carter020108

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2018
Yeah I have also been debating those options but pricing is the biggest issue. I'm UK based and cheapest I can find the schoutedeni is for £150 each, would ideally like a group of 6 as well so quite a big hit to the finances.
I've found one source for the pustalatus but at £1000, also too steep for me atm.
Both gorgeous puffers but unfortunately out of reach.
People have done groups of avocado puffers and here in the us I’ve seen them for 20$ that tank should work for a group

FahakaPapa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2015
Manitoba, Canada
Do a search on here about this. It's been a topic of conversation more than once. I have a 12 year old Fahaka and got a custom tank built for her. As for 18", I have yet to see one in captivity that large. Mine is about 11" and is in a tank that is 30"wide x 40"long x 32" high, 166 gallons (plus sump of aprox 40 gallons). You don't need a 6 foot long tank. You just have to make sure it has room to turn around comfortably and a decent volume of water because they eat like absolute pigs.

UnclePat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2022
I'd agree with FP on this one...you'd likely be fine in that tank for quite awhile...possibly for it's lifetime. Yes, there's the chance yours might grow to the maximum size, but it would be a long time coming and if you had one that big, you'd also have no problem finding a home for him. Or you could always upgrade the tank down the road!
I have a little fahaka (like 2 inches) in a 40 long right now, and picked up a 90 gallon that he'll be moving into in the future.

That Trinindad Pleco

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2022
I'd say minimum is 4x2 or a 120 gallon. 4 foot length is good but they are big bodied fish so 2' width would be fun.

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
They need more room than a 18-24” tank. At 18” even a 24” tank is too small. These are big fish and they need room. I never understood this minimum size tank thing, they are animals and need room to live. I’m glad the op asked, and I’m glad he passed on the fahaka, shows a lot of responsibility. Good on you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store