fahaka puffer

baracuda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2005
SoCal
anyone know the proper care for this fish. Thinking of getting it for a single fish tank. they have one at the lfs for about 25$. they said it was mean as hell and thats what im looking for. Anyone have experience with these guys or pics. thanks.

antbean90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2006
bournemouth england
i have a nile/fahaka puffer its about 11inches, they do grow to over 18. it is a very aggressive fish it bit the head clean of a pleco and then ate the rest of it. Experts reccommend not to keep it with anything, however i keep it with a silver dollar, they've been together for about a year, he used to stalk it but gave up because the silver dollar is miles too fast

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
Fahakas tend to do better with fish that are smaller then it....They have this thing about intimidation, if a fish is equal or bigger then it, the fahaka will mess it up pretty bad...I suggest putting it by itself, they are the oolest fish in the world, the best fish i ever kept :( . just be careful because they are a scaleless fish that can burn themselves on the heater in the tank. Burning can lead to infection...that is why i no longer have a fahaka puffer:swear:

PufferXtreme

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2006
UK
When big you can keep them with tiny fast fish - tetras etc. Until then keep it alone. They have so much personality that you won't need tankmates. As they get to somewhere in the region of 17-18 inches they will need turning space so ideally go for a 2ft wide tank and the longer the better. Like a fine wine they improve with age the stripes becoming clearer as the fish matures. Foodwise, standard puffer fare applies, prawn mussel cockles. Cockles are important as they keep teeth worn down. Break the shells up a bit while the puffer is small so they can crunch on the shell while eating the meat. Fast growth rates apply.
Buy it!:thumbsup:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store