United states of America
beautiful goldies Lupin..

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Red Devil;3107347; said:
they all go inside to pond in basement... babies and all..each summer there are always a few babies... the oldest goldies are 9 years old... never lost any...thanks...:D

I live in Florida whats a basement ? lol kidding

Basements are a fish keepers dream cold or hot they hold temps steady all yr long. No basements in Florida :(

I know some do keep koi/goldfish out all yr long in cold states but never figured out how they survive.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Louie;3110431; said:

Basements are a fish keepers dream cold or hot they hold temps steady all yr long. No basements in Florida :(

I know some do keep koi/goldfish out all yr long in cold states but never figured out how they survive.
You'd have to winter them if temperature drops at stiffly cold.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Louie;3110431; said:

if the pond is deep enough like at least 4 feet deep.. that is below the freeze level of the soil... they go down to the bottom and shut down.. sort of hybernate... low low metabolism rate..and they do fine.. they do not eat at this time...so deep ponds are perfectly fine for them to winter in... as long as there is moving current on top so the pond does not completly freeze over leaving no room for gasses to excape.. but my pond is only 3 feet.. and i tried those de-icer plug in type things.. that will keep an open space for the gases to release.. but if you don't watch it all the time they could go faulty and not work... i just think it is easier to drain the pond into the garden.. and bring them in.. and my basement is heated.. so even better..

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Lupin;3110467; said:

Oh so you do have to bring them in if freezing temps.

I know they are cold water fish but didnt know if they could handle temps in 30s for couple months.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Red Devil;3110479; said:
if the pond is deep enough like at least 4 feet deep.. that is below the freeze level of the soil... they go down to the bottom and shut down.. sort of hybernate... low low metabolism rate..and they do fine.. they do not eat at this time... but my pond is only 3 feet.. and i tried those deicer plug in type things.. that will keep an open space for the gases to release.. but if you don't watch it all the time they could go faulty and not work... i just think it is easier to drain the pond into the garden.. and bring them in.. and my basement is heated.. so even better..
Okay thanks.
You know what would be nice - A pond in the basement with wooden frames and pond liner .

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Lupin;3110467; said:
only if pond does not go deeper then freeze line..

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Red Devil;3110490; said:
only if pond does not go deeper then freeze line..
I was going to add that but it slipped my head. Thanks for pointing that out, Liz.:)

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store