Feeding a scarlet pleco

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
I have a footlong scarlet pleco that I am having a hard time feeding. His responsse to algae wafers, carfish wafers, and cichlid pellets is minimal. Anyone know what these guys like to eat?

quix

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2005
Singapore
this is strange..i have had 4 scarlets and all take to commercial food readily...as long as it sinks, they eat. how long have u gotten him and is he new from the importer? if freshly caught from the wild, then prob it has yet gotten used to commercial food, will just take some time and patience.
they are primarily carnivores..so meaty stuff, chopped up shrimps, mussels will be accepted readily..but i would still recommend feeding commercial food and using those as a treat..u dun wan the fella to get spoilt.. :D

armac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2005
South Texas
Mine really liked raw shrimp, they are more carnivorous than many other plecos. I would not use zuchini as a staple, provide him with a piece of driftwood also.

AlaskaJammin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2005
Alaska
Lol, my tank has about 100lbs of driftwood in it. I saw him nibbling on some catfish wafers the other day. He is fresh off the boat, so I suppose it will take time. Just hate seeing a fish in my tank who needs to eat. Im sure he will be fine, the fin rot cleared up with some kanamacyn.

SteveL91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2005
NJ
AlaskaJammin said:
Lol, my tank has about 100lbs of driftwood in it. I saw him nibbling on some catfish wafers the other day. He is fresh off the boat, so I suppose it will take time. Just hate seeing a fish in my tank who needs to eat. Im sure he will be fine, the fin rot cleared up with some kanamacyn.
Live blackworms, frozen bloodworms and try smaller red worms (compost worms/earthworms/etc) to start with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store