Fighting fish

Midwater

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2021
Thailand
Reading about it now apparently it's illegal almost everywhere except for some parts of Asia and is largely ignored by local police in Thailand even though illegal along with most gambling.
I have never come across anyone fighting fish, or even considering it. Lots of people keep bettas, and they are easy to find. Purely ornamental.

There used to be a cock fighting ring a Chatuchak market, right by the fish quarter, but that was out of use thirty years ago.

The local police ... they have got much more important things to deal with.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I have never come across anyone fighting fish, or even considering it. Lots of people keep bettas, and they are easy to find. Purely ornamental.

There used to be a cock fighting ring a Chatuchak market, right by the fish quarter, but that was out of use thirty years ago.

The local police ... they have got much more important things to deal with.
I’ve seen a few on YouTube years ago

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I've no doubt it's a genuine thing in some parts of the world, but why? I mean what kind of a spectacle would it be for the viewer?

They're tiny little fish, granted the males are aggressive with other males, hence the reason for keeping them apart.

But still, as aggressive as they are all you're going to see is a bit of posturing, flanking and lip locking. Hardly box office.

The stress that the poor fish will endure though is very real, I'd like to think that even a novice hobbyist would refrain from such activity, it's a bit of a joke question really imo, hence the light-hearted banter earlier in the thread.

This is my more serious response to the OP's original question.

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
A good MMA match up is hard to beat but two fish arguing? Trying to cut back, myself.

Fallen_Leaves16

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2021
I knew a guy from the Dominican Republic in high school who bred and fought bettas when he lived there; apparently breeding quality fighting fish, putting them up against another person's fish, and betting on the outcome was a fairly common practice. Can't remember the details, but 'feral' B. splendens would apparently be caught out of ditches and ponds, and be line bred for certain traits that were more desirable- vivid reds and dark greens were emphasized in terms of colour, shorter fins and bulkier body were in higher regard, fish with greater aggression would be chosen as future breeders, etc. Apparently males would be "trained" to react to a rival betta with a black plastic bag wrapped around something, like a finger. Fish would be placed in a fairly small tub for the fight, and the first fish to submit by turning pale would be the loser.
I don't really know what the point was; seems more like it was something done out of tradition? I do agree that the practice seems rather senseless and cruel; unfortunately I have no clue whether it still occurs on a regular basis today.

Reactions: Joshuakahan
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store