Figure of 8 puffer fish

vyasa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm new to this website. I've recently (6 months ago) bought an aquarium. I have a number of questions for a number of fish so I'll post to the appropriate forums. I have a 2'ish inch figure of 8 puffer fish. He's quite a lively sort. Its probably my most nervous purchases (in hind sight) as I read many sites with various opinions on whether to add salt to the water as I understand it favours brackish water or that it can happily live without it. Can someone point me in the right direction as don't want to adversly affect my other fish. I have 2 pictus, 1 clown loach, 2 corydoras, 1 striped talking catfish, some neons, 1 malawi cichlid, 1 angel, 2 tiger barbs, 1 clown pleco and 2 siamese fighting fish. My tank size is 18" x 12" x 15"(h).

Thanks

Ash

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Hello there vyasa, welcome to MFK!
The figure eight puffer under that name in fishbase is T. palembangensis but what is usually sold as figure eights is listed as eyespot puffers which are smaller, 3" at full size. They are listed as true fresh water fish. They are also a bit nippy and sometimes eat small fish and love to nip fins, I think this is the one that tore up a tank of angels for me once.
Both this and the other are listed in several sources as not needing salt. If you tank is 18"x12"x15" on the INSIDE it is barely a 13g tank and if that is the outer dimesions it is a 12G. It is over loaded and you will soon have problems. I suggest you get at least a 20g or larger for the pictus, angel, clown pleco, clown loach, and one betta, and the neons, leaving the others in the 12g. Angel reach over 4" alone. In the future it would probably be best to look up the fish before buying.
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but your tank is seriousy overcrowded.

mbierzyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
uk
a figure 8 puffer needs a brackish water tank to survive. i would keep salinity at .008. They can live in fresh water, but will die very young, you're going to need a new tank for all of your fish, so keep the freshwater fish in one, and make another a brackish tank. If you use the 12gal for brackish, you'd probably do fine with one more figure 8 puffer.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
mbierzyc,
can you point me to where you got your info, what I have been reading, including in Fishbase says both the eyespot and the figure 8 are true freshwater fish and several sites say they do better in fresh than in brackish or salt.
Vyasa, could post a pic?

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
I have just gone through 11 pages of web links and it seems there is still some controversy about these. So far it is 4 to 1 that they are freshwater, this includes fishbase.
this site gives some clear info, www.fishprofiles.com/files/profiles/figure8mxl a another source (one I trust) is www.fishbase.org

The sites that say they are brackish are mainly british or german and the one site that said they were saltwater was french. The sites also tend to disagree on maximum length with most saying 3", a few saying 6-8" and one saying 12".

The name was first eyespot pufferfish and in some places still is but most often it is called figure8, and the latin for it was first Tetraodon biocellatus, then T. palembangensis, then T. strindahaieri, and now back to T. biocellatus.

Lots of fun.
the sites agree that they are at least semi-aggressive and should be fed at least some snails to control the growth of their beaks

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
The puffer forum is a great source for info, but dosn't always mean they are 100% accurate.

I have gone rounds with Jeni about brackish water puffers and the likes, so I don't really want to get into it.

I keep my F8 puffer by himself (currently) in a 29g tank. It has no marine salt added to it, but I do add alot of aquarium salt for osmoregulatory purposes. I also used crushed coral for a substrate, and include sea-shells to make the water harder. My tap water runs about 7.8, but my puffer tank is about 8.2.

The key is to not let them live in softer water, which may lead people to believe the marine salt is a MUST. People who have very soft water out of the tap would obviously struggle with keeping this fish in 'freshwater', as it's nowhere near the appropriate conditions.

To say that the F8 puffer died, or will die because you didn't have it in brackish water is a very erranous statement. The fish could of died for a number of reasons, and it's hard to exactly pinpoint the reason unless your very educated in aquariology.

*Keep this in mind.. if your F8 puffer died while it was in freshwater, people who disagree with the thought of keeping F8s in FW, will use that opportunity to 'solidify' their own statements about how F8's should be kept in Brackish water. Everytime I have seen this happen, people often jump on the 'should of been in brackish' bandwagon, because it better suits their own opinion. It could of been a number of other reasons, as I have kept my F8 in freshwater for a couple years now with no problems at all.

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
PS. Your tank is overstocked, and that is the reason the F8 has yet to start killing off it's 'buddies'.. I would watch out for chomped fins. My little F8 will eat a comet goldfish 2x his size. Hes a savage.

mbierzyc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
uk
my figure 8 died just this morning, and was kept in a brackish tank. i woke up and found him stuck to the powerhead intake. he wasn't too small either, so somehow he was weakened and couldn't fight off the current. i had that powerhead in the tank for months too, so not sure why he died really, but i am not blaming salinity by any means.

vyasa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Thanks for the information. I'll check out the puffer forum although its sounds from what some of you have said that fresh water is the way to go. Just two weeks ago I think he went for two of my guppies. He made a real mess of them. I didn't mind too much as they were the product of a pregancy.

From putting my mind at rest on the issue of salinity of the water , now the issue of soft water. I clearly am going to the wrong aquarist for advice. He suggested softening the water. I live in the London area (UK) where the water is very hard. From reading the above posts it sounds like that isn't such a good idea. Are the current combination of fish ok or should I think of handing them to someone else ?

I did suspect that the tank was overstocked. I am planning to buy a 32" x 15" x 12" this xmas. What is the recommended number of fish for the current tank and what number for the dimensions mention above ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store