Figure of 8 puffer fish

vyasa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
United Kingdom
As of this morning, my siamese fighter fought its last fight. Shredded to pieces and cruelly barely alive. I take note of your advice. Less fish (or bigger tank).

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I would give some thought to putting the puffer in a tank of at least 10g/38 liter with maybe the clown pleco cat,

by the way, though they are fairly slow growers striped talking cats can reach 8" long,

in your 12g/45 liter tank I would retain your remaining siamese fighter (betta), 5-6 neons, 5-6 glowlight or other small tetras or guppies, 3-4 zebra dianos, your cory cats, and your tiger barbs which will pretty much max it out for long term.
In your projected 25g/95 liter tank I would keep your remaining fish plus maybe 3 black skirt tetras and 3-5 silver hatchet fish and that would be about it. I would also add a couple bunches of anacharis/elodea plants to each tank.

There are many types of Malawi cichlid, some are a bit aggressive and some are not, and they range widely in adult size. Could you give us a picture or a very detailed description?

Bettas are called siamese fighting fish because they are very aggresive towards each other, so much so that staging fish fights is a popular betting sport in some places. They should not be kept with other bettas.

spryandspringy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2005
The Lone Star State!
Hello, and welcome to MFK! The thing I noticed second about your setup (the first being overcrowding) is that you have many different types of fish with many different requirements in the same tank. The species you listed need different pH, temperature, decor (e.h. hiding places vs. wide open space), some prefer live plants while others would only shred them, and I saw many opportunities in your list for one fish to end up in another's mouth. :WHOA:

How about this: Instead of getting one larger aquarium, see if you get get a deal on several small, separate aquariums. Check auction sites, online petstores, and your LFS to see if you can find a price break on buying several at once. Then you could set them up, each to satisfy the needs of a few of your specimens.

Another option: Is there one particular fish or type of fish among yours that you really like? You might consider "breaking up the family" and finding new homes for the non-compatible species, once you determine the type of setup you'll need for the fish you really want.

That's my two cents (1/2 cent after taxes.) ;)

vyasa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Unfortunately I live in a flat where space is at a premium. The 25g tank is the largest I can accommodate for now without 1) my girlfriend leaving me 2) the floor collapsing under the weight. Having multiple tanks is not really a good option. Since reading all the posts I've think the best thing to do is to figure out which fish to give away and wish to keep.

I think I'd rather breakup the family as this is my first attempt at keeping tropical fish. I used to keep goldfish and wanted to do something more challenging. I was hoping to keep the pictus, pleco, talking cat and F8 if poss with perhaps new additions with the new tank. Any suggestions for this combo ?

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
what if you just keep that smaller tank and dedicate it to the figure eight and turn it into a brackish. They have awesome personalities and you'll find yourself falling for the little guy.

oscar1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2005
my friend never had brackish water for his and it is doing just great . but as guppy said your tank is seriously overcrowded so u better get a new tank or get rid of some fish or your in for some trouble.

Mourinho18

Caquetaia man
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2005
somewhere
hate to kind of deviate from your opening question but i've got a question for miles about the figure eight. I want to start up a new aquarium with these guys and I was wondering what size tank i would need for a group of these guys because I really want to try to get a pair? and do you have experience with other types of freshwater puffers, and which kinds, and which would you recommend for sayyyy, a 30 gallon or so? thanks

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
I would go with 2, maybe 3 max in a 30g.

Heavily plant the tank as much as possible, so they stay entertained and have boundaries..

Good luck breeding them, I have only 'read' accounts of people spawning them, with a very low success rate on raising the fry. Your best bet is to just keep a pair of happy puffers in a 30g. I keep a single one in a 29g, soon to add a knight goby and a Butis Butis for tankmates.

Miles

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store