• Fila

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Capa

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

MonstaFish FOR LIFE

Feeder Fish
May 21, 2016
I got this guy a few days ago and I thought it was a filamentosum but after abit if research I realised that the capapretum looks pretty similar I think it is a capa but I'm not really sure ur help in identifying this fish is greatly appreciated

image.jpg

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Same answer - IMHO undisputably capapretum. Good to see one with an intact snout

$_20.JPG

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Well very true. So it will probably not reach any more than 120cm /50" even under ideal circumstances. Hmm but there is still the high moratality rate ....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I've not read of anyone's report on long-term keeping of a capapretum. To get some sense, we'd need at least a dozen of such reports and need them to be more or less reliable. So the max size in captivity is a shot in the dark. Here is my shot: I'd be surprised if they broke 3' even after 5-10 years.

What do you mean by high mortality? AFAIK, the capa is no different from other Brachies and while Brachies are not as hardy as RTC and TSN and Co, they appear not to be particularly susceptible to high mortality, explained or unexplained, except maybe tigs + crustaceans alleged link.

But maybe your point is that there are so very few Brachie adults reported in the hobby. That one has to agree with. I think this is combination of reasons - they are more rare, less hardy, more fussy, some are very skittish, and more expensive.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Yeah that's what i ment, very very few adult fish out there. Of course the size is a big problem for many people, but think about how many rtc and tsn are out there which might not be fuly grown but at least over 2 feet long!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Right but RTC and TSN, as sad and wrong as it is, are a staple for most LFS, in the USA at least. Chains, big boxes, and some of the worst LFS all stock them if not year round but regularly.

Brachies are a specialty and among Brachies, only tigs and jurs are common.

So statistics is not in Brachie favor. I'd guess for every 1000-10,000 rtcs and tsns only one Brachie is sold and our hobby is such that, again statistically, we as hobbyists altogether, kill 99.999% of all fish we buy.

Perhaps only 0.001% survives to die of "natural" causes, especially among our beloved large catfish because of how long-lived they are with lifespans of 25-50 years and many perhaps can live a century+. I'd guess 10x more survive into adulthood but it is still a measly 0.01%.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store