Firewood or planiceps catfish at Fish Story

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
First two tries ended up with spinning deaths, 2-3 fish each try, in 2016 and in 2018. Don't know why, looked like a bug in our water / fish.

Trying a third time 6 years later:

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
First two tries ended up with spinning deaths, 2-3 fish each try, in 2016 and in 2018. Don't know why, looked like a bug in our water / fish.

Trying a third time 6 years later:

the bigger the better with these guys lol… alot of people struggle to “rear” the small ones, myself included. Not sure if they just come in bad, or collected too soon but there very fragile under 6-8”. Id like to try again one of these days. Buddy gave me one from a batch of 6 that lasted only a week for me. 4 perished over night and 1 is still alive i believe with rich/josh. Hope they do well for u 💀🤘. Looks like a pretty decent size to start with.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting. So it might not be necessarily my systems but their general inborn fragility at smaller sizes. Thank you for this, Russ, I didn't know!!

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Interesting. So it might not be necessarily my systems but their general inborn fragility at smaller sizes. Thank you for this, Russ, I didn't know!!
Yup, i wouldn’t blame urself or ur systems entirely without a fair shot at least with a healthy good sized specimen to start with. Im not sure exactly what it is that makes the smaller juvies drop like flies. The drastic price increase for a 6-8”+ compared to a 2-4” shows there is something known about their fragility tho.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
They barely took a few bw this morning. This evening I buried them with bw and cut fish. They have eaten well!

Reactions: wednesday13

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
the bigger the better with these guys lol… alot of people struggle to “rear” the small ones, myself included. Not sure if they just come in bad, or collected too soon but there very fragile under 6-8”. Id like to try again one of these days. Buddy gave me one from a batch of 6 that lasted only a week for me. 4 perished over night and 1 is still alive i believe with rich/josh. Hope they do well for u 💀🤘. Looks like a pretty decent size to start with.
Some of us can’t even get hold of one, let alone two or a batch of 6!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store