Fish rentals...the next Big Thing?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I was scrolling through the new posts this morning as usual, and found myself uncharacteristically reading a couple of the "what should I keep?" and "can I keep this fish and that fish together?" threads...and suddenly, the sun broke through the clouds, the angels sang...and I had an epiphany!

Fish rentals! And possibly fish leasing!

As I read about the trials and tribulations of all those poor hobbyists who want great big fish in their tiny little tanks, the common factor that they all shared was obvious. All these people seem to think in terms of the fish that they bring home from the store at a length of a couple of inches. Most of them seem to be aware of the sizes these fish can eventually achieve, but it's almost like an abstract concept for them; they hear phrases like "can achieve a length of 3 - 4 feet"...and they look at their tank which is, coincidentally, 3 or 4 feet in length...and they somehow come to the conclusion that it will magically work out for them. By the time the fish reaches that majestic size, they will have a 5000-gallon basement pool, or a 15-foot tank built into the wall, or a 10-acre heated outdoor pond, or some other vast enclosure, depending upon what their mom and their after-school-activity schedule allows.

Another common problem arises when these aquarists simply must have the meanest, most aggressive, toothiest, gnarliest fish on the planet...in their little tanks...kept with a community of others, 'cuz solitary fish are too boring!

A few of them may pay some lip-service to the idea of selling or otherwise re-homing the fish when they grow too large or too unruly...but even those folks seem to think they will have many years before the problems arises, when in actuality the time will be measured in months or even weeks. Hell, I just read a thread where they poster wanted to know about keeping a specific fish...which he hadn't purchased yet, thank goodness...and he was already planning on getting rid of it! Dang...that's a forward thinker for sure!

This idea would also be perfect for all those "...for life?" aquarists. You know the ones..."What's the absolute minimum smallest size of tank in which I can keep a Marlin...for life?" With this plan, you no longer need to worry about the lifespan of the fish...just the attention-span of the fishkeeper! Lost interest? No sweat! I'm there the next day to discreetly remove that dusty old Oscar that you are now bored with, and replace it with the latest Shiny New Thing.

So, yeah...fish rentals! You want a Midas cichlid for your 20-gallon desk-top tank? Or an Arowana in your 75-gallon? How about a school of Piranha or maybe a RTC...or both!...in your 100-gallon? No problem! You set up the tank...and I bring to your home and install the fish of your choice, at a size that is suitable for your aquarium. You will pay a small weekly fee for as long as the set-up seems to work; when the fish gets too big or too aggressive or too boring or too dead, I'll come pick it up and replace it with the next new species that you simply must have. You can have an Arowana this month...a RTC for a couple weeks after that...and then move into maybe a nice Wolffish or Bichir or...well, whatever you want! The sky's the limit!

Of course, like any contract, there would need to be some fine print. The aquarist would pay on a weekly basis for the fish...and would cover the costs of transportation to and from...and of course there will be an up-front security deposit which is sufficient to cover the entire value of the fish in question. Then we just add on the taxes, a small handling/processing surcharge, a minimal mark-up and a small hourly charge to cover set-up.

That's it! No hidden costs or extra charges! You have the fish of your dreams, in your own tank at home, with no worries about what to do with it when it outgrows its welcome!

The perfect aquarium. :)

I'd probably add on further services as time passed, such as on-site rock-boiling, but I'll likely start small with just the rental business. Gotta come up with a catchy logo and motto.

Maybe "Fish for now; not forever!" or "Fish today...gone tomorrow!" or...?

I'll be looking for investors and start-up capital, so...stay tuned...:)

Hopefully the mods will let me know if I should have posted this in the Marketplace section...

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
nice idea, but i doubt that many people will use your service since a majority of them are "cold blooded". they will think "why pay for the sake of fish" and continue to keep them in the way they are. I am not discouraging you, just giving my opinion. Good luck with your new idea

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Lol, retirement has afforded you wayyyy too much time to be thinking my friend. I almost feel sorry for your wife, no scrap that, I do feel sorry for your wife! Lol.

I'm wagering that your target market are the dreamcatcher type hobbyists, the very ones who couldn't keep their "leased" dream fish alive for any length of time if their lives depended on it.

So my only suggestion is that you will need to add some kind of funeral service to your plan too! Lol.

I'm retiring soon too, God only knows what crap I'm going to come up with....that's on top of the crap I already serve up, lol.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Lol, I’m here for you!!!
Your Uk leg of the business.
I live a hundred yards from the guys that rent fish tanks to businesses and then charge them even more money to clean them out!
What a thriving industry this appears to be…….. selling imbeciles koi to put in 4ft tanks and then charging to clean up the mess they make and then selling said fish to others once they outgrow the tank these folks are paying monthly to own and paying again to have cleaned before starting all over again with baby koi!
I am sure I must be able to convince these folks to buy cites registered golden cross back arrowana (£1300) a time to keep till they outgrow the tank and I’ll be happy to take them off their hands for free in 6 months time!

I’ll be happy to re-home practically any monster fish that gets too big for their tank and in this way can happily support the uk leg of the “rent a monster” business you propose!

The world is changing my friend and we have to be there to support(read - profit from!) those that feel they are educated (read - daft!) enough to be trying to change it in all the best (read - wrong!) ways!

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
nice idea, but i doubt that many people will use your service since...they will think "why pay for the sake of fish"...
Lol, one of my literary heroes, H.L.Mencken, said "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the public". Fishkeeping, like all other facets of life, has no shortage of people with more money than brains. They represent a plum ripe for the picking...:)

Lol, retirement has afforded you wayyyy too much time to be thinking my friend.
Yep! I find myself working harder and doing more productive work than I ever did while being paid for my time :)...but much of it is the kind of mindless tedium that allows my mind to wander...:)

I'm wagering that your target market are the dreamcatcher type hobbyists, the very ones who couldn't keep their "leased" dream fish alive for any length of time if their lives depended on it.
Yep! Note the security deposit mentioned above. :)

So my only suggestion is that you will need to add some kind of funeral service to your plan too!
You, sir...are a genius! How did I miss that? Fish funerals; little 3D-printed caskets, maybe made of Lego?; on-site burials (there's always a shovel in the truck...); on-site cremations (a shoe-box filled with wood chips and a propane torch); tiny jars and urns and fancy boxes suitable for display on mantlepieces...

Dang...this is exciting...:)

Lol, I’m here for you!!!
Your Uk leg of the business.
I live a hundred yards from the guys that rent fish tanks to businesses and then charge them even more money to clean them out!
What a thriving industry this appears to be…….. selling imbeciles koi to put in 4ft tanks and then charging to clean up the mess they make and then selling said fish to others once they outgrow the tank these folks are paying monthly to own and paying again to have cleaned before starting all over again with baby koi!
I am sure I must be able to convince these folks to buy cites registered golden cross back arrowana (£1300) a time to keep till they outgrow the tank and I’ll be happy to take them off their hands for free in 6 months time!

I’ll be happy to re-home practically any monster fish that gets too big for their tank and in this way can happily support the uk leg of the “rent a monster” business you propose!

The world is changing my friend and we have to be there to support(read - profit from!) those that feel they are educated (read - daft!) enough to be trying to change it in all the best (read - wrong!) ways!
Oh, yeah...we have to go into business together! By making this a global enterprise we not only increase our visibility...but you sound like you would make an absolutely lethal competitor, so I'd much rather have you as a partner! :)

Last edited:

AR1

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
Lol, one of my literary heroes, H.L.Mencken, said "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the public". Fishkeeping, like all other facets of life, has no shortage of people with more money than brains. They represent a plum ripe for the picking...:)

Yep! I find myself working harder and doing more productive work than I ever did while being paid for my time :)...but much of is the kind of mindless tedium that allows my mind to wander...:)

Yep! Note the security deposit mentioned above. :)

You, sir...are a genius! How did I miss that? Fish funerals; little 3D-printed caskets, maybe made of Lego?; on-site burials (there's always a shovel in the truck...); on-site cremations (a shoe-box filled with wood chips and a propane torch); tiny jars and urns and fancy boxes suitable for display on mantlepieces...

Dang...this is exciting...:)

Oh, yeah...we have to go into business together! By making this a global enterprise we not only increase our visibility...but you sound like you would make an absolutely lethal competitor, so I'd much rather have you as a partner! :)
i appreciate your confidence and positivity

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Yeah, well...I'm very positive that my opinion of most of humanity is very negative. Rather than wasting time trying to alter the inevitable...it's easier to just Embrace The Suck. :)

Oh! Oh! FISH FRY FUNERALS!!!! Tired of your fish? Kill 'em and grill 'em! Your beloved pets lovingly cleaned and prepared in your choice of several delicious dishes; keep them with you forever...or at least until the next morning... :ROFL:

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Yeah, well...I'm very positive that my opinion of most of humanity is very negative. Rather than wasting time trying to alter the inevitable...it's easier to just Embrace The Suck. :)

Oh! Oh! FISH FRY FUNERALS!!!! Tired of your fish? Kill 'em and grill 'em! Your beloved pets lovingly cleaned and prepared in your choice of several delicious dishes; keep them with you forever...or at least until the next morning... :ROFL:
Bold of you to assume the fish will make it to an edible size.
You may be sooner to have a fish fry fry funeral.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Bold of you to assume the fish will make it to an edible size.
You may be sooner to have a fish fry fry funeral.
Why? Have you never eaten canned sardines? Never had a fish-fry on the beach after a successful evening of seining Smelts? Never eaten a goldfish on a dare while living in a school dorm with a bunch of drunken students?

In this context...size really doesn't matter...

Reactions: Deadeye and AR1
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store