Fish room stand help

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I currently have about 30 plus tanks totaling about 2,500 gallons. In a few months I will be moving to a new home and upgrading the fish room to larger tanks and ponds. I currently have all wood two tier stands. They are great stands but most of them will not make the move. A friend made these for me. I do not do wood work myself and have no desire to figure it out now. What else have you all used? Can i do cinder block two tier stands (with some wood on top)? Has anyone used pallet racks? I will have a couple tanks 6 ft plus and 3 to 4 ft wide.
Any other ideas?

Thank you

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I like my simple DIY wood stands, but if building with wood is off the table and if the budget allows, commercial metal pallet racks can't be beat.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
if you have budget for metal racks i would do those. its crazy how much room it saves and how the room looks so clean.
Which metal racks are you referring to?

I like my simple DIY wood stands, but if building with wood is off the table and if the budget allows, commercial metal pallet racks can't be beat.
Any idea on good places to get them?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I have bought two different brands that appeared literally identical and were certainly made in the same factory and simply branded with different names; all parts were interchangeable. One came from Costco and the other from Canadian Tire; do you have those in the U.S.? :)

I think I've seen them at Home Depot as well.

dnz03dw

Aimara
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
Which metal racks are you referring to?

Any idea on good places to get them?

1. muscle racks - they have 3 size rack size that would do perfect for 40-50g, 55-90g and 6ft x 2ft wide tank.

2. talk to your local Welder and see if they can make you some metal racks per your design.

I did both - i have some tanks on muscle racks and had some custom metal racks built for some stack 225g+ tanks to a 600g tank.

dnz03dw

Aimara
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
heres some picture for reference. my wood stand vs metal stand (left side 40g breeder on muscle rack) u can see how much space i saved and how clean the room looks now.

IMG_7331.jpg

IMG_7121.jpg

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
Wood forever! (Coming from a carpenter) Wood can always be taken apart and modified or re-purposed. Super easy to learn how to diy stands on this site or youtube. If I ever did want a cleaner open look with a different material I would weld custom metal stands for sure (or have them built by a reputable welder).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store