Fish room stand help

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I use screwless stands. Can't suggest them enough to anyone with multiple tanks.
Easy to setup with a rubber mallet and simple to adjust.
Can be done alone but an extra hand helps a lot if it's your first one.
Over 6 years and only 1 or 2 small spots having paint issues. But nothing that bothers me.
Magnetic hooks and other magnetic baskets easy to attach and hang.
5' length and 6' height stand can be moved by me alone without straining.
20210911_165842.jpg
20211106_222338.jpg

Gpdriftwood

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2017
you can also say muscle rack can be taken part too :p
Then u are kept to certain dimensions for the most part, unless u are a fabricator. Can't tell u how many stands I built over the years and ended up tearing apart and changing completely to reuse as new plans were executed and bigger tanks were acquired or built. But I hear ya brotha, if I didn't love the versatility of wood so much, my stands would be metal. I also love that a 4 legged wood stand can be leveled to any non level surface with 4 skirt boards around the bottom.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I've used that style of metal rack as well, but never heard them called "muscle" racks. I still have several in my basement for general storage, and in the past they were perfect for holding a series of small-to-medium reptile enclosures. I never really thought of them for heavy duty use like aquariums.

The metal racks I like best are much heavier, but assemble in more or less the same fashion as those. The uprights in the corners are square tubing, about 2 x 2 inches, and the shelf horizontals are also massive; the assembled unit is built like a tank, and multiple units can be linked together to form a unified construction. But they go together in seconds, easily and quickly adjusted to the shelf spacing that you desire.

The biggest disadvantage to the welded stands is their permanence. You get what you ask for, and you had better never plan on changing it...'cuz you can't.

Having said all that...I have a single 15-gallon hospital/quarantine tank tucked into one end of a metal stand in the basement...and all the others in the fishroom (6 permanent tanks ranging from 70 to 360 gallons) are on DIY wood stands, so...:)

Last edited:

dnz03dw

Aimara
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
I've used that style of metal rack as well, but never heard them called "muscle" racks. I still have several in my basement for general storage, and in the past they were perfect for holding a series of small-to-medium reptile enclosures. I never really thought of them for heavy duty use like aquariums.

The metal racks I like best are much heavier, but assemble in more or less the same fashion as those. The uprights in the corners are square tubing, about 2 x 2 inches, and the shelf horizontals are also massive; the assembled unit is built like a tank, and multiple units can be linked together to form a unified construction. But they go together in seconds, easily and quickly adjusted to the shelf spacing that you desire.

The biggest disadvantage to the welded stands is their permanence. You get what you ask for, and you had better never plan on changing it...'cuz you can't.

Having said all that...I have a single 15-gallon hospital/quarantine tank tucked into one end of a metal stand in the basement...and all the others in the fishroom (6 permanent tanks ranging from 70 to 360 gallons) are on DIY wood stands, so...:)
oh just referring to a brand that i use hehe

dnz03dw

Aimara
MFK Member
May 1, 2005
Then u are kept to certain dimensions for the most part, unless u are a fabricator. Can't tell u how many stands I built over the years and ended up tearing apart and changing completely to reuse as new plans were executed and bigger tanks were acquired or built. But I hear ya brotha, if I didn't love the versatility of wood so much, my stands would be metal. I also love that a 4 legged wood stand can be leveled to any non level surface with 4 skirt boards around the bottom.
definitely - can never go wrong with wood (if i was a carpenter like you I would of kept wood)

Reactions: tlindsey

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
heres some picture for reference. my wood stand vs metal stand (left side 40g breeder on muscle rack) u can see how much space i saved and how clean the room looks now.

View attachment 1534209

View attachment 1534210
the first photo the stand on the right is that a custon made?

Wood forever! (Coming from a carpenter) Wood can always be taken apart and modified or re-purposed. Super easy to learn how to diy stands on this site or youtube. If I ever did want a cleaner open look with a different material I would weld custom metal stands for sure (or have them built by a reputable welder).
I am going to look into getting stands welded as well. Happen to know welders charge for their time?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I use screwless stands. Can't suggest them enough to anyone with multiple tanks.
Easy to setup with a rubber mallet and simple to adjust.
Can be done alone but an extra hand helps a lot if it's your first one.
Over 6 years and only 1 or 2 small spots having paint issues. But nothing that bothers me.
Magnetic hooks and other magnetic baskets easy to attach and hang.
5' length and 6' height stand can be moved by me alone without straining.
View attachment 1534225
View attachment 1534226
That looks good. Can the Tank slide in and out or they stuck in there?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store