Fish smugglers

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Interesting story in the paper today.

Shocking find in couple's luggage as they arrived in Australia at Melbourne airport leads to hefty fine | Daily Mail Online
Its strange how for all the talk of how strict our biosecurity rules are they only got fined $400 the first time they were caught.
If they have been doing this regularly as i would suspect and knowing how much illegal fish are worth here for the people who want them then it would have just been pocket change for them. No wonder they tried again in the same month.

I would have expected the authorities to do some internet and phone history checking to track down if they have been selling them and who to. Its because of these sort of clowns i cant get HRPs or nanolutus as well as many other fish but now there are probably lots of snakeheads out there, just waiting for some fool to release some and make things even stricter.

thiswasgone

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2014
California
I wonder what became of the fish?
100% euthanized.

The only time I've heard of a fish not being immediately euthanized by customs or similar agencies is with an Asian Arowana in the US IIRC; they wanted to use it as evidence for the crime. I believe they will contacted a well-known local hobbyist (if not local then at least well-known) to store the fish until trial was done. At that point I believe the fish was either euthanized or the hobbyist was given the option to keep it but only if they can get the permit for the fish but I don't recall fully what happened so YMMV.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I wonder what became of the fish?
As T thiswasgone said, euthanised 100%.
I’m not sure how it goes in other countries but here in oz if the authorities found you had one of these fish in your home tank you would get a visit and they pour some kind of super concentrated bleach into your tank that wipes out every living organism right down th the bacteria, leaving it completely sterile. No second chance and it doesn’t matter what else you have it all gets blitzed.
That’s why I am so shocked they only got a tiny fine for their first offence when it’s taken so seriously .
I wonder how many times they have been successful befor they were caught.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I’m not sure how it goes in other countries but here in oz if the authorities found you had one of these fish in your home tank you would get a visit and they pour some kind of super concentrated bleach into your tank that wipes out every living organism right down th the bacteria,
I'm surprised this method of euthanasia is allowed. I have no doubt that PETA are somehow involved with the authorities regarding this illegal practise, so I'd have thought a more humane method than industrial strength bleach would be used, given that PETA are all for animal welfare.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
100% euthanized.

The only time I've heard of a fish not being immediately euthanized by customs or similar agencies is with an Asian Arowana in the US IIRC; they wanted to use it as evidence for the crime. I believe they will contacted a well-known local hobbyist (if not local then at least well-known) to store the fish until trial was done. At that point I believe the fish was either euthanized or the hobbyist was given the option to keep it but only if they can get the permit for the fish but I don't recall fully what happened so YMMV.
I recall that situation,read about it in a magazine years ago.I may still have the mag tucked away somewhere.

Reactions: thiswasgone

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I'm surprised this method of euthanasia is allowed. I have no doubt that PETA are somehow involved with the authorities regarding this illegal practise, so I'd have thought a more humane method than industrial strength bleach would be used, given that PETA are all for animal welfare.
I am not sure what the exact substance used is but apparently it’s very quick and very effective.
Bio security is taken very seriously here by the authorities, a few years ago Johnny Depp snuck his pet dog in on his private plane for some bizarre reason. When he got caught it was a huge media storm, the dog was put in quarantine for a few weeks and was very nearly euthanised too. It nearly happened but the government showed mercy , the general public and surprisingly PETA too wanted it to happen as an example.
I would bet if you tried it since you aren’t a famous movie star (I think) you would be saingy goodbye to your dog.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
LOL what nerve....to Hell with a host country's laws,dammit I'm rich!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store