Fishing as a hobby

Larryfish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2016
Hi. I was just wondering how the majority of you feel about fishing as a hobby. Catch and release. ? I just wanted to get some input as to weather or not you think it's okay

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Catch and eat here. I think it's fine otherwise it wouldn't be legal.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
It's a hobby for me- catch and release. I don't eat fish anyway
Same as spotfin spotfin

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
some input as to weather or not you think it's okay
Hello; Fishing is harmless, it is the catching that some may not like.

I fish and think it is a fine recreation. I generally catch and release to the point of using barbless hooks (or hooks with the barb bent down flat) and no longer using live bait. Fish tend not to swallow artifical baits as deep as so often are not damaged. If i do happen to damage a fish to the point of likely death and it is of legal size, then I will eat it. (depending on which body of water it is from.)

You will no doubt find some who do not like fishing, ignore them if you are not married to one or they support you financially.

One good point about paying for a fishing license is that the funds often support good animal husbandry practices.

Enjoy your fishing and may you also do some catching.

Reactions: Frank Castle

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Would just like to state that recreational fishing is not what is killing or fisheries. Commercial fishing has single handedly destroyed fisheries. Bluefin tuna are gone. Salmon wiped out. Mako shark are hurting. It's truly sad. It's also sad that a lot of game fish that aren't commercially targeted are being affected as well. They get caught in nets and are left to die. I'm a firm believer that commercial fisheries should have the same regulations as recreational fisherman. Japan has crushed the tuna fishery all over the world

Reactions: Frank Castle

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Kill (Humanely) and eat or C&R is both fine to me. What I don't like is fishing and hunting for trophies and trophies only.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store