Gar Identification - Post your Gar to be ID'd HERE!!

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Hi Hao Hao is this a Longnose as well? I had thought for years it was a Shortnose but Toyin told me it was a Florida. I ask because it looks very similar IMHO to what W Waveylove18! posted as far as pattern but mine seems to have a shorter snout.
View media item 50821IMG_2362.jpeg

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Hi Hao Hao is this a Longnose as well? I had thought for years it was a Shortnose but Toyin told me it was a Florida. I ask because it looks very similar IMHO to what W Waveylove18! posted as far as pattern but mine seems to have a shorter snout.
View media item 50821View attachment 1542451
May i ask where you got it from? Any other photos? How big is it as well? Personally, I have not seen enough young size shortnose gars to say 100% since they are probably the rarest gar in the aquarium trade despite being abundant in the wild. But from the limited times I have seen them, I will say this is likely not a shortnose.
I can definitely say it's not a longnose gar for sure. As for it being Florida, it's very likely since those are probably one of the most diverse looking gars out there.
You can trust Toyin's ID though when it comes to Polypterus and Gars. Aside from selling Polypterus, he has sold gator gar, true spotted gar, longnose gar, shortnose gar, and wild hybrid (if he does find one) internationally.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
May i ask where you got it from? Any other photos? How big is it as well? Personally, I have not seen enough young size shortnose gars to say 100% since they are probably the rarest gar in the aquarium trade despite being abundant in the wild. But from the limited times I have seen them, I will say this is likely not a shortnose.
I can definitely say it's not a longnose gar for sure. As for it being Florida, it's very likely since those are probably one of the most diverse looking gars out there.
You can trust Toyin's ID though when it comes to Polypterus and Gars. Aside from selling Polypterus, he has sold gator gar, true spotted gar, longnose gar, shortnose gar, and wild hybrid (if he does find one) internationally.
I' have to check my old threads to see about more pics. As for size I believe it was around 10-12 inches at that time and I got it from TFD/Tropical Fish Distributors. I had it with a regular Florida(except he had a booped snout when I bought him). Te colors on the fish were so different. You can see it has this weird lavendar/grey hue while my Florida under the same lights looked green. When it first came in it completely lacked pattern and almost looked like a platinum. Within a couple of days and feedings it looked as pictured.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store