Gar too mellow?

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
Really you should keep as many feeder as you can with him, gar need constant supply of food in their first year of growth. You wont overfeed him. Just beware of the risk in the retail sources of your feeders(parasites) and also the size of the feeders.

Also check out the stickies on somatic growth and other growth information, there is gold in there i swear lol.
Hmm alright, I don't use fish store feeders, I've been using my own guppies

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I can tell you know guppies don't grow nearly fast enough to be a sufficient feeder supply lol.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hmm what's a good feeder hat I can breed on own? Convicts?
convicts would be a more reasonable fish to use yes, but ultimately after that gar puts on a few inches it would be best to try feeding him frozen food then pellets later on.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
So, I'm new to Gars and I have a small spotted or Florida gar, it's about 2 inches. I saw him floating at the top, so I lightly touched him, he sink down a little and hanged out at the middle of the tank, Are hard afraid of being touched like cichlids, or do they not really care? Is he sick? He's swimming ever so often and his colors are looking good,
I would say at that size your expectation is bit high. It's only 2". Can't snap at your fingers yet. Keep them for 18 months feed them proper then see the magic

Galasca

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2016
I would say at that size your expectation is bit high. It's only 2". Can't snap at your fingers yet. Keep them for 18 months feed them proper then see the magic

"Feed them proper," what would you consider "proper"

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
convicts would be a more reasonable fish to use yes, but ultimately after that gar puts on a few inches it would be best to try feeding him frozen food then pellets later on.
I agree, if you can afford the time and if they accept the frozen, that is definitely your best option. Convicts are much more viable option than guppies but you will still run through them. You can also try ghost shrimp and blood worms. Everyone elses suggestions are great as well, all fish are different but gar arent normally picky lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store